* ? Plan 9 for Sun 3/80 ?
@ 1995-09-05 11:23 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1995-09-05 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>Is there a 68030 version of Plan 9 anywhere? Perhaps for some of

a student here (davesc) started with my sun3 port and the existing next 68040 port, and
attempted a port to the 3/80.  in a few weeks he got a very long way
before he ran out of time (the machine had to go back to its owners).
amongst other things, he made the required changes to 2a and 2l
to support the 68030 instructions and registers required for the mmu.
the kernel booted, started /boot, but there was some problem with
the Lance (ethernet).

i used that as a basis for a working port to an Eltec 68030 VME crate.
in the process, i discovered a few small errors in the sun3x code
that might have caused the Lance to fail (but that failure might have been
unrelated).

i recently made the 68030 changes to 2a etc for the new release, but i haven't
made the small changes to the Eltec kernel required for the new release.
once i've done that, in the next few days, i'll know that things are
working as well as they ever were, and i can make the 2a/2l changes,
the 68030 kernel changes, and the basic sun3x (sun 3/80) package available
to anyone with a licence who wants them.  they might be useful
as part of a port to a 68030 NeXt machine, for instance.
they might also be useful if you've got a similar VME crate.
we used it as part of a student project to drive a robot.
i'll probably put the bits out for anon. ftp in some suitable form,
rather than dole them out on demand.

* ? Plan 9 for Sun 3/80 ?
@ 1995-09-04  7:09 sharris
From: sharris @ 1995-09-04  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm about to acquire a Sun and have my choice of a 3/60 or a 3/80.
They are similar except the 3/80 uses a 68030 (instead of the 3/60's
68020) and comes in a much nicer case.

I know Plan 9 has been ported to the 3/60, but I wouldn't expect that
port to run out-of-the-box on a 3/80.

Does anyone have a version for the 3/80?

Does anyone have information on how much the 68030's MMU would
complicate a port?

Is there a 68030 version of Plan 9 anywhere? Perhaps for some of
the Next machines?
 --
 Sandy Harris
 sharris@fox.nstn.ca