* ? PC configuration ?
@ 1995-09-05 12:10 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1995-09-05 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>If so, what would it take to make an IDE-only PC usable this way?

i hacked something together for someone with the old release.  it's much much easier
if you settle for having either IDE or SCSI on the file server,
but not both.  adding IDE `properly' almost certainly requires a new
device type in /sys/src/fs/port, and the changes will be extensive.
the hack is a straightforwardly ugly one(!).
i haven't done it for the new release, and don't intend to,
but here is the essence, as far as i recall.

 ... no, having looked at it, the process is just too disgusting.
i refuse to give details in public.
send me mail if you're determined to carry through with it.

* ? PC configuration ?
@ 1995-09-04 12:25 Sandy
From: Sandy @ 1995-09-04 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Methinks I've got enough PC to run Plan 9: 100 MHz 486, 24 megs RAM
and a one gig drive with 600 megs free. My VGA monitor just died so
I can't test yet, hence questions:

Can one PC run all parts of Plan 9: terminal, files, authorisation &
computation?

Eventually, I expect to have a diskless Sun 3 as terminal & want the
PC to act as file & compute server. But the port.html document says
only SCSI disks can be used for PC file server. Is that still true?
If so, what would it take to make an IDE-only PC usable this way?
 --
 Sandy Harris
 sharris@fox.nstn.ca