* Plan9 for Amiga ??
@ 1995-09-06 12:38 Hamish
From: Hamish @ 1995-09-06 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <199509061805.EAA22994@molly.cs.monash.edu.au>, 9fans@cse.psu.edu
wrote:

> Another nice thing is that, once an Amiga port exists, an Atari port
> would be trivial. The Amiga and Atari versions of Linux/68k run off the
> same binaries, and perhaps even dual-purpose kernel images.

I wouldn't say trivial. The common portion between the Atari and Amiga for
the Linux port is the context switching and memory management stuff.

For a plan9 port you'd hopefully be getting this stuff from an earlier Sun3
or NeXT port anyway.  The "tough" part of a port is the device drivers, and
creating  drivers for the Amiga hardware isn't really going to help you
drivers for the Atari hardware.

Your latter remark is correct, in that identical Linux/68k binaries run on
either machine when it is running a Linux/68k kernel, and you can
configure/build a "superset" kernel which can be booted on either machine.

* Plan9 for Amiga ??
@ 1995-09-06 18:05 Andrew
From: Andrew @ 1995-09-06 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

[M G Berberich]

> Is there an Amiga version of plan9??
> [ Not yet. Does the Amiga have a decent MMU these days? - mod ]

Higher-end Amigas (the 2500 and 3000, I think, and perhaps the 2000)
have a MMU; there is a port of Linux to these machines (I don't know what
state it's in at the moment though). A port of Plan 9 to such Amigas
would be possible (how much demand there'd be for it is another question,
but if there's at least one die-hard Amiga hacker with a Plan 9 CD and
some spare time, there's enough ;-) ).

--
/d/def/s/scale/u/dup/f/forall{load def}{loop}stopped pop/r{u 1 lt{-1 0 moveto 1
1 lineto stroke}{[[(ha_a0\211)(db\\h\(~)(eVhdOj)(jd_dbd)(dh\\bT\200)(f_ab^\211)

* Plan9 for Amiga ??
@ 1995-09-06 12:07 M
From: M @ 1995-09-06 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there an Amiga version of plan9??
[ Not yet. Does the Amiga have a decent MMU these days? - mod ]
If yes: where can I get it.

		MfG
		bmg
--
"Des is vvllig wurscht, was heut beschlos- | Matthias Berberich
 sen wird: I bin sowieso dagegn!"          | berberic@forwiss.uni-passau.de

* Plan9 for Amiga ??
@ 1995-09-06 11:51 Hamish
From: Hamish @ 1995-09-06 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <42k2u5$sao@news.rz.uni-passau.de>, berberic@forwiss.uni-passau.DE (M G Berberich) wrote:

> Is there an Amiga version of plan9??
> [ Not yet. Does the Amiga have a decent MMU these days? - mod ]
> If yes: where can I get it.

Amigas can be found available with the entire gamut of 68020/68851 -> 68030 ->
68040 and even 68060.

Of course, a lowly A500 (68000) or A1200 (68EC020) won't support something
like plan9 without some sort of CPU expansion card.