* Plan9 & OS/2 Boot Manager
@ 1995-09-11 10:50 Johnson
From: Johnson @ 1995-09-11 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

unsubscribe

--
Johnson Lukose                          jluqaz@hicom.po.my
HICOM Communications Sdn. Bhd.          Tel: +60 3 202 8800
Suite 3.5, Wisma HICOM                  Fax: +60 3 202 8899
Jalan U1/8, Off Persiaran Kerjaya
40000 Shah Alam
MALAYSIA

* Plan9 & OS/2 Boot Manager
@ 1995-09-06 17:46 Will
From: Will @ 1995-09-06 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael C. Montero (root@localhost.nyu.EDU) wrote:
: I am trying to setup Plan9 on my machine which has OS/2 Boot Manager.  I
: currently have a DOS parition and a Linux partition.  I followed the
: steps outlined in the documentation for setting up the PC distribution
: (20 megs) of Plan9.  However, for some reason the Disk1 is setting itself
: up on the floppy instead of on the partition I left available for Plan9.

I installed on an OS/2 machine and hit the same problem.  There can be
only one partition (BootManager is a partition) on the drive on which
you install Plan 9.  I had MSDOS and Bootmanager on the same disk,
the first, and got the results you describe.  Once I removed Bootmanager
the install went smoothly.  Since this was a test to see if my hardware
was compatible, I just removed Plan 9 after a day and didn't start
chasing down possible solutions for continuing use.

Will
cwr@crash.cts.com

* Plan9 & OS/2 Boot Manager
@ 1995-09-06 16:55 corey
From: corey @ 1995-09-06 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <Pine.3.89.9509041742.A130-0100000@localhost>,
Michael C. Montero <9fans@cse.psu.edu> wrote:
>I am trying to setup Plan9 on my machine which has OS/2 Boot Manager.  I
>currently have a DOS parition and a Linux partition.  I followed the
>steps outlined in the documentation for setting up the PC distribution
>(20 megs) of Plan9.  However, for some reason the Disk1 is setting itself
>up on the floppy instead of on the partition I left available for Plan9.
>I am NOT trying to make Plan9 part of OS/2 Boot Manager.  According to
>the documentation, the DOS partition is supposed to be formatted and
>space is supposed to be left for Plan9.  If anyone has any idea of what
>the problem may be or if anyone has gotten around this (in any way)
>please let me know!  The only thing I would like is to maintain my DOS
>and Linux partitions and, if possible, not to have to delete my Linux
>partition.  The DOS one has been mutilated already.

	I ran into exactly the same problem last night. I would guess
	that you are using the OS/2 Boot Manager stored in the MBR
	and that LILO is installed in the Linux root partition.

	In my case I had DOS and Linux loaded and was using LILO in
	the MBR. Plan9 was doing the exact same thing you mentioned
	and failed to write to my SCSI drive. To solve the problem
	I removed LILO from the MBR with DOS fdisk /mbr and I also
	removed my Linux partition as I had not allocated space for
	Plan9 previously. This solved the problem and I now have Plan9
	loaded.

	You might be able to get away with just unloading the OS/2
	Boot Manager instead of doing what I had to do. i.e deleting
	my Caldera (Linux) partition) :-( :-(

	One of the problems with Caldera Linux is that Lilo cannot
	be installed in the root partition, if you have an all SCSI
	system. Don't ask me why, I just read it in the documentation.
	When I put Linux back on my machine I will use the loadlin
	utilities to boot Linux.

	--Corey

--
/* Corey Brown  (WB0RXQ): 20m, 15m, 2m(146.82) 70cm(443.65)       */
/* AT&T NSD	             |  corey@hustler.att.com		  */

* Plan9 & OS/2 Boot Manager
@ 1995-09-04 21:11 Michael