* Help with demo disks...
@ 1995-09-11 16:29 Ishwar
From: Ishwar @ 1995-09-11 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I downloaded the four disks images from plan9.att.com:/plan9/pcdist.
The disks downloaded are disk1.2, disk2.vd, disk3.vd, and disk4.vd.
I tried to install on a 386/40 with no x387 (8Mb RAM, Trident VGA/1Mb
RAM, and IDE disk). After the command a:b, it asks to proceed with
installation, on a affirmative keypress it starts with errors:

Problem Copying Files
file does not exist
File:
/n/a/rc/bin/cpurcdos
Press any key to continue..

Same message next three times --
File:
n/c/Pla9/rc/bin/cpurc
Press..
File:
/n/a/lib/namedos
Press..
File
/n/c/Plan9/lib/namespace
Press..

Finally it says that Plan9 is installed on c:\Plan9 ..

It seems the system is installed on diskette itself! What is the way out?

-Ishwar Rattan

* Help with demo disks...
@ 1995-09-12  7:46 Staffan
From: Staffan @ 1995-09-12  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Seems like the same problem I had.  The problem is, I think, that Plan
9 doesn't see your C: partition.  I think that must have only one
primary partition, at the very beginning of the drive, no boot
manager, and probably not too many extended partitions eiter.  (At
most 1, I guess, which makes a total of two partitions.)  After
fulfilling these requirements, my installation started working.

Hope this helps,

Staffan