From: ralphc@sps.siemens.co.uk ralphc@sps.siemens.co.uk
Subject: Panic: Lock Loop On Inserting Disk2.vd.
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 13:36:24 -0400	[thread overview]

jmk wrote:
> Well, I looked and I can't see any way to get there from here, can't happen...
> No consolation, I know.

Thanks for the effort.

> I'm not familiar with the HP Vectra, what processor is it and what is the type
> of the DEC ethernet card, is it a DMA card?

A very plain 386.

> It looks like someone overwrote some memory used for a lock. I can only
> suggest the usual things, BIOS defaults, turn off any shadowing, etc.

Yes, that was it.  After hunting around for a few days I managed to get
some documentation on the motherboard.  Flip a switch to turn off its
`optional ROMs' which a service report said stopped SCO Xenix 386 and
AutoCad 386 from running and it read the second installation disk fine.

forsyth@plan9.cs.york.ac.uk wrote:
> i don't suppose there is a document on the net somewhere about these
> settings, written by someone who knows?

I found two things that might be useful to others.  The first is the
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.*_Frequently_Asked_Questions that had an awful
lot of information in, just nothing that particularly happened to cover
my case.  And the second was a set of utilities for mucking around with
CMOS settings and the like;  a pointer to the FTP site is in the FAQ:

    Some 286 machines don't have a CMOS configuration menu in the BIOS.
    They require a software CMOS setup program.  If you don't have the
    Installation and/or Diagnostics diskette for your machine, you can
    try using a shareware/freeware program.  Try looking in:

        oak.oakland.edu:/SimTel/msdos/at
    or
        ftp.uu.net:/systems/msdos/simtel/at

I got these utilities but didn't have to use them in the end because
proper documentation turned up, but they might help someone else in the
same boat.

Many thanks to all who gave help.  My next problem is adding the HP
VGA Board (D1180A) to the vgadb.  It has a Paradise controller on it.
640x480x1 works fine, 640x480x8 results in the display wrapping into
about six parts on the screen with a big black box in the middle.  (If
anyone has already done this can they get it touch.)  Is there a way to
leave the message telling me that the VGA card isn't in the database on
the screen.  Alternatively, is there a way of regenerating the message
once booted?

Ralph.

Ralph Corderoy.  ralphc@sps.siemens.co.uk.  Phone: UK 01202-408769.
    Siemens Plessey Systems, Grange Road, Christchurch, Dorset. BH23 4JE