* terminal not sending auth requests
@ 1995-09-15 14:45 presotto
From: presotto @ 1995-09-15 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

The thing that doesn't get configured is a way to call the auth
server when the boot method is tcp.  It doesn't need the auth
server to talk to u9fs since u9fs uses ruser() to accept or
reject.  However, if you log in as anything either than 'none'
then the kernel tries to check whether your key/password works.

If you want to use u9fs as your main file system and have an auth
server you can call up via il, you could change in
/sys/src/9/boot/ip.c:

int
authtcp(void)
{
	return -1;
}

int
authtcp(void)
{
	return authil();
}

I'ld assumed using tcp for file service implied no auth server, i.e.,
that you were logging in as 'none' to get Plan 9 installed and would
never really run that way (u9fs isn't the worlds fastest file server
by a long shot).  Bad assumption especially not that there's a Unix
auth server.

* terminal not sending auth requests
@ 1995-09-15 16:13 Steve_Kilbane
From: Steve_Kilbane @ 1995-09-15 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'ld assumed using tcp for file service implied no auth server, i.e.,
> that you were logging in as 'none' to get Plan 9 installed and would
> never really run that way (u9fs isn't the worlds fastest file server
> by a long shot).  Bad assumption especially not that there's a Unix
> auth server.

well, i'm hoping that someone will take Pace's IL server and stick
a 9P server underneath. :-) Perhaps that might be faster than u9fs..?
Either way, it should fit in with the scheme of things a little better.

steve

* terminal not sending auth requests
@ 1995-09-15 13:25 Steve_Kilbane
From: Steve_Kilbane @ 1995-09-15 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been trying to boot a terminal using u9fs as the root server, and Pace's
IL implementation for the auth server. However, the terminal doesn't appear
to be making any attempt to contact the auth server. I suspect that because
the root is a TCP address, and the auth server is an IL address, the IL
system isn't getting configured. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me,
because a quick glance at the code reveals that the tcp and il config()
routines both do the same thing.

However, if I give an il!a.b.c.d address for root, and w.x.y.z for auth, then
the terminal does an arp for the auth address. If I change the root address
to tcp!a.b.c.d, then the arp isn't attempted, and the terminal immediately
complains
that it can't contact the auth server.

steve