* Multi-Tech ISI card
@ 1995-09-20 10:19 Dave
From: Dave @ 1995-09-20 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

this sounds like the hayes esp cards, which can emulate 16550, but also have
a mode which enables a 1k fifo (1k for each of the two ports).  i have some
information on the cards if anyone is interested.  if memory serves (the
documentation is at home) the cards can also do dma.

* Multi-Tech ISI card
@ 1995-09-19 21:20 Borja
From: Borja @ 1995-09-19 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> we have two of these cards and they've never been out of the box,
> i believe they are just 16550's strapped to come up in a suitable mode
> (but i could be wrong).
> we run the plain old 16550's on our pc's at 115200 with high-speed
> compressing modems (motorola) without trouble, you don't need the isi
> card unless you need com3.
> we have, however, had trouble with the multitech mt2834 modems when trying
> to use them over a 4-wire leased line. we'd be interested in anyone
> else's experience.

	Multi-Tech say that the cards are 16550-compatible by default
but they can be put in a mode with a bigger buffer to decrease the
interrupt load. I will look at the specifications they are going to give me.

	BTW, my COM3 card is an old 8250-based card with the 8250 desoldered
and replaced by a 16550, and a track cut and resoldered to use IRQ5.
It works under Unix (and will work under Plan 9 once I get the new
motherboard).

	The reason for the ISI card is that I use to do heavy work while
I use the modem and for now I cannot set up separate file server, CPU server/s
and terminal, so I will use a single machine.

	regarding the modems, I haven't experience with that model
(just biught the cheap 2834ZDX which is async-only and PSTN-only) but
perhaps I can help you. Which is the problem?

	Borja.

Borja Marcos               | Preferred: borjam@we.lc.ehu.es
Alangoeta, 11, 1. izq.     | Others:    borjamar@mx.sarenet.es
48990 - Algorta (Vizcaya)  |            100015.3502@compuserve.com
SPAIN                      | CIS:       100015,3502
(c)1995 by the author.
This message cannot be transferred to the Microsoft(tm) Network.

* Multi-Tech ISI card
@ 1995-09-19 13:36 jmk
From: jmk @ 1995-09-19 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1995-09-19  7:51 Borja
From: Borja @ 1995-09-19  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

	Hello,

	I'm talking to Multi-Tech to get information about the
ISI card (a serial card capable of much higher throughputs
than a 16550) to write a driver. Is else doing it, is, am I
reinventing the wheel?