* Plan9 boots, but no windowing system
@ 1995-09-23 12:28 presotto
From: presotto @ 1995-09-23 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

It does indeed sound like you're in VGA hell.  The only way I can
see you getting the message "init: rc exit status: rc 8:false" after
dossrv started was if none's startup script, /usr/none/lib/profile,
ran without VGA being set up.  If you have a color monitor and are still in the
green on black CGA mode, that's it.  To be sure, once you get the prompt
(after the error), type

	% cat '#v/vgactl'

The output will have the line 'type: cga' if'n it's vga.

I don't understand 640x480x1 not working.  Make sure in
C:\plan9\plan9.ini that

vgasize=640x480x1
monitor=vga

Also, make sure you avoid config.sys & autoexec.bat when you boot
(by hitting F5 when booting if DOS version 6 or better or by booting
off of a DOS floppy) to make sure DOS isn't setting the VGA to some
mode we can't get out of.

If this still doesn't work, mail jmk and/or me and we'll take this
off line.

Sender: owner-9fans@cse.psu.edu

Hi you'all,

let me first say i think plan9 has alot of potential.

my problem is this:
after downloading and installing the 4 disk distribution, i rebooted and
typed (as in the documentation):
plan9\b
it boots alright, but it fails to start the windowing system.
it reports:
fs...time...
init: starting /bin/rc
/bin/dossrv 18: serving #s/dos
init: rc exit status: rc 8:false

init: starting /bin/rc
term%

is this a vga problem?  the machine is an 8mb AST 486sx/25 with
a cirrus logic graphics chip.  i have tried changing it to 640x480x1,
but that still doesn't help.

Mike

--
Mike Yockey			myockey@ece.arizona.edu
UNIX System Administrator	Electrical and Computer Engineering Department

* Plan9 boots, but no windowing system
@ 1995-09-23 12:45 presotto
From: presotto @ 1995-09-23 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

In my previous message