* Using plan9 with exactly 2 machines
@ 1995-09-23 14:23 Staffan
From: Staffan @ 1995-09-23 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I've been looking for information about how to set up a small Plan 9
system, but all the documents I've found (not so many, actually), only
discuss the two cases 1) installing Plan 9 on a single computer, and 2)
installing on many computers (at least three: terminal+cpu server+file
server).

Since I happen to have exactly two computers available, I was thinking
about the possibility to use both for Plan 9.  Actually, I would like one
of them to run Plan 9 24 hours a day, and the other one to act as a
terminal, to be rebooted sometimes to run OS/2.

So, my question is: can I use the 24-hours-a-day-running-plan-9-computer
as both a cpu and file server at the same time?  I guess not.  If I'm right
here, would it be possible to run a system without a file server?  (Putting
a central hard disk on the CPU server, and ignoring the security imposed by
the file server?)

I really think it would be a lot more fun to have a small Plan 9 network to
play with than a stand-alone plan 9 machine only.  On the other hand, I can't
afford three machines...

Thanks for any suggestions / pointers to information!

Staffan

Staffan Ulfberg				phone: int+8 648 98 65
Email: staffanu@nada.kth.luth.se

only message in thread, other threads:[~1995-09-23 14:23 UTC | newest]