* Pergatory to Enlightenment via ?????
@ 1995-09-24  3:57 jmk
From: jmk @ 1995-09-24  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

	> 320x240x1 with a funny wrapping feature.  Requests for higher
	> resolutions (1024 . . .) result in the cga terminal apprearing.

did you set your monitor environment variable to something other than 'vga'?
you need to for > 800x600. when in cga mode, it's always a good idea to
	aux/vga -p > /tmp/x
and look there for any obvious errors.

	> ctlr
		> 0xC0085="ISA MACH32"
		> link=vga
		> ctlr=mach32
this would be my choice, although it could just be another id string in the
existing mach32 entry. the mach32/64 support was added at the last minute and
just does the basic stuff, it doesn't use the accelerator at all and it
shouldn't be necessary to programme the ramdac for those modes up to and
including 1024x768. it's more likely there's either
	1) a difference in the clock table;
	2) some different setup required for the ISA card (we only had
	   a VLB card to try it on).

* Pergatory to Enlightenment via ?????
@ 1995-09-25 23:00 jmk
From: jmk @ 1995-09-25 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

	> Hmmmm.  What sort of an error should I expect to see?  What I get is a display
	> exactly like what appears running debug (in DOS).  The position of the ID
If you see that then it didn't find and match the string.

* Pergatory to Enlightenment via ?????
@ 1995-09-25 17:13 Frank
From: Frank @ 1995-09-25 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

In message <95Sep24.001313edt.78365@colossus.cse.psu.edu>, jmk@plan9.att.com wr
ites:
> did you set your monitor environment variable to something other than 'vga'?

Yep, tried Multisync65.

> you need to for > 800x600. when in cga mode, it's always a good idea to
> 	aux/vga -p > /tmp/x
> and look there for any obvious errors.

Hmmmm.  What sort of an error should I expect to see?  What I get is a display
exactly like what appears running debug (in DOS).  The position of the ID
string is the same as vvvvvvvvvvvvvv.
> 		> 0xC0085="ISA MACH32"
> this would be my choice, although it could just be another id string in the
> existing mach32 entry. the mach32/64 support was added at the last minute and

Aha, any suggestions as to what another ID string should look like?
I'll try other strings that appear in the aux/vga -p > /tmp/y output and use
the corresponding addresses.

Thanks for your help.  I'll pass on my successes :^)

-Frank

* Pergatory to Enlightenment via ?????
@ 1995-09-23 20:39 Frank
From: Frank @ 1995-09-23 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey, this is fun!  But I'd like to get more information on my screen.
I've got an ATI Graphics Ultra + which works in VGA purgatory mode
(640x480x1).

If I configure for 640x480x[248], I get a black box in the center of the
screen with little colored flakes and a border surrounding it which
shows the screen as it would apprear if the resolution were about
320x240x1 with a funny wrapping feature.  Requests for higher
resolutions (1024 . . .) result in the cga terminal apprearing.

I'd like to get the 1024x768x[18] resolution out of my card if I can
without having to dive into the fiery pit (or my wallet).  Anyone have
any clever ideas?

I've done a few things:

	1.  in lib/vgadb I placed the following lines in successive attempts:
	  a)
		ctlr
			0xC0085="ISA MACH32"
			link=ibm8514
			ctlr=mach32
	  b)	ctlr
			0xC0085="ISA MACH32"
			ctlr=mach32
			link=ibm8514
	  c)	ctlr
			0xC0085="ISA MACH32"
			ctlr=mach32
			link=vga
	  d)	ctlr
			0xC0085="ISA MACH32"
			link=vga
			ctlr=mach32

	2.  looked at the manual pages for vgadb(6) and vga(8) as well
	    as an appendix from the Toronto ftp site and at the
	    regmach32.h file from XF86 (has list of Mach32 ramdac types).

	  a)	vgadb(6) indicates the mach32 controller is supported
	  	and lists a series of ramdacs, none of which are
		listed in the regmach32.h file.

	  b)	the ftp site appendix lists ATI Ultra Pro as the
		Mach32 card supported.  Does this mean the Ultra+
		has a different ramdac and I'll need to have an
		aux/vga that supports that ramdac?

Have I tried all of the easy stuff?  Is the next step to go find a
copy of Ferraro?

Any guidance is appreciated.

-Frank