* PPP over serial line
@ 1995-09-24 15:04 presotto
From: presotto @ 1995-09-24 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

As has been said before, this ppp is minimal.  Someone really should
work on it.  I don't have time to now.  It's on the release more as
an excuse to release a newer version later without a new license.

The con part (1-5) should work.

(6) doesn't do what you want.  In fact it's pretty destructive.  You copied
"add myipaddr" onto the executable /bin/ndb/cs.  By the way, double
quotes mean nothing to /bin/rc.

	'add xyz' written to /net/cs adds protocols for /bin/ndb/cs
	to use when someone dials a string unbound to a protocol,
	i.e., one starting with net! instead of tcp! or
	il! or dk!...  When cs starts, it looks to see whats already
	configured and uses that.  If you start up other networks later,
	you van let cs know by writing 'add tcp' or whatever to /net/cs.

The 'bad exec header' usually means that you're trying to execute
something that has the execute bit set but isn't a binary for the
processor you are executing it on.  Perhaps you wrote onto /bin/ndb/query
also?

Sender: owner-9fans@cse.psu.edu

Could someone who has set up PPP over a serial line please help.

I've used the following approach:

	1. telco /dev/eia1
	2. con -l telco!5551212
	3. logged on to ppp server and started ppp
	4. used the <ctrl-\> ! combination to execute pppclient as:
	5. pppclient -i myipaddr -p ISP'sipaddr

At this point all the con's i/o seem to be going to pppclient.

I then try to:
	6. echo "add myipaddr" > /bin/ndb/cs
to put the new ip address in the network database.  (I'm logged on as sys).

Any effort to ping results in a "not found" message.  ndb/query won't
execute, saying only "bad exec header"  (I may not remember that precisely).

I've read the man pages, and searched the archives for this newsgroup,
without success so far.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Craig Ludington
(who's delighted to be running Plan9!)

* PPP over serial line
@ 1995-09-24  6:13 Craig