* Memory problems with 8-1/2
@ 1995-09-25 14:16 presotto
From: presotto @ 1995-09-25 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bit maps live in the kernel.  The kernel gets 30% of
memory by default.  If you have a smallish system, this can
limit bit map space.

You can change how much the kernel gets by sticking the line

kernelpercent=40

in plan9.ini.  Replace 40 with whatever works...

* Memory problems with 8-1/2
@ 1995-09-24 23:42 Andrew
From: Andrew @ 1995-09-24 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I have managed to install Plan-9 and get 8-1/2 working @1024x768x8.
I really love the acme editor/environment and the excellent alef
language.

Anyway, I seem to only be able to open about 3 large windows...
If I have only one window on the screen then I can move it and
reshape it etc, but with three windows (depends on the size of each)
on the screen then all windowing operations seem to fail.  I seem
to remember seeing a message at one stage saying something like
"Out of Bitmap Memory"...  Is this the case or is something else
wrong?  Is there a fixed amount of memory allocated to windows?

Thanks for any help in advance,

Andrew McVeigh

p.s. replies by e-mail preferred, as my news feed is absurdly slow.