* Success w/ Diamond Stealth VLB ?
@ 1995-09-26 13:53 jmk
From: jmk @ 1995-09-26 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

	ctlr
		0xC0060=" Diamond Computer Systems"
		link=vga
		hwgc=s3hwgc
		ramdac=att20c490
		link=s3clock
		clock=icd2061a
		ctlr=s3805
		link=ibm8514

that looks reasonable, although i'd take out the hwgc line until the
rest of it works. altering the order is sometimes necessary, depends on
the hardware just how things are connected and settle after changes.
it may also be a problem with it being a VLB card, never tried one of
those before.

* Success w/ Diamond Stealth VLB ?
@ 1995-09-26  1:35 Jesse
From: Jesse @ 1995-09-26  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <95Sep25.202203edt.78424@colossus.cse.psu.edu>,
 <9fans@cse.psu.edu> wrote:
>In general, there are at least three things you need to know:
>	VGA chip
>	RAMDAC
>	clock generator
>Even then, you need to know how they interact.
>
>What did the /lib/vgadb entry you tried look like?

here is the entry:
ctlr
	0xC0060=" Diamond Computer Systems"
	link=vga
	hwgc=s3hwgc
	ramdac=att20c490
	link=s3clock
	clock=icd2061a
	ctlr=s3805
	link=ibm8514
I hacked this entry together by looking at other entries and by doing some
guessing. As I said before, the ramdac is actually Diamond's SS2410, but
it is (somewhat) compatible with the att20c490.

when I start aux/vga it recognizes the card (i.e., it finds that string in RAM
but the display is funky.  I get what looks like a split screen, and the top
half and bottom half are the same, with some other wierd stuff.  It's hard to
describe, but in my experience these symptoms are evidence of a timing problem.

I've read the the order in entry is the order in which the init functions are
called.  Maybe I should try reording them ?

thanks,
- Jesse

* Success w/ Diamond Stealth VLB ?
@ 1995-09-26  0:13 jmk
From: jmk @ 1995-09-26  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1995-09-24 23:49 Jesse
From: Jesse @ 1995-09-24 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

You folks weren't kidding about VGA Hell.

I've a Diamond Stealth 24 VLB.  If you used Linux a few years back you
will recall this is the card that was a nighmare to use with X.
At this point I can get aux/vga to recognize the card.  The Ramdac is
Diamond's SS2410, but I've heard it's compatible with the att20c490, so
that's what I put in /lib/vgadb.  I'm assuming if my equip. works with X,
I can get it to work with 81/2.  The modes for the monitor are exactly
as I have in XF86Config (/lib/vgadb for X) so I don't really know what
to fiddle with at this point.  Trying aux/vga -l 1024x768x1 hangs my
machine, for example.

If I just take out my card's entry in /lib/vga, I get plain 640x480x1
support, but I'd like to try for better since I know my hardware is
capable of 1024x768x8

thanks!
- Jesse