* sam hint
@ 1995-09-27 15:06 mkc
From: mkc @ 1995-09-27 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

forsyth@plan9.cs.york.ac.uk writes:

> in my window system startup file, i typically create one window of
> significant size in which i run sam.  that remains on screen until i
> log out (subject to `Hide' in 8½ or 9wm).  as i wander about the
> system in other windows, i use the B command (see sam(1)) to throw
> files into it for editing.

I found the scripts for B for Bourne shell and rc somewhere, but at
that time I only downloaded the Bourne version, which I still have,
and now I don't seem to find the place I snarfed them from. I have
gone through the Bell Labs FTP site, but I wasn't able to find them
there.

Where can I find an rc version of B that will work under Plan 9? The
Bourne shell version I have makes use of a temporary file to send
commands to sam. The file is named after the user and the DISPLAY
variable. I figured that the rc script available was for Unix systems,
too. Is it possible to use the same script under Unix and Plan 9? I
find that strange.

Mikael Cardell <mkc@bull.se>
Systems Engineer
Telco Solutions, System Integration Services
Bull Northern Europe

* sam hint
@ 1995-09-27 16:26 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1995-09-27 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>Where can I find an rc version of B that will work under Plan 9? The

the full kit includes /rc/bin/B which (unsurprisingly) works under plan 9.
plan 9's sam puts one end of a pipe in /srv.
the B.rc in the unix plan 9 distribution is not the same as the plan 9 version.
i don't know whether the four diskette version includes /rc/bin/B.

* sam hint
@ 1995-09-27 15:29 presotto
From: presotto @ 1995-09-27 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

#!/bin/rc

files=()
dest=()
line=''

if(~ $#* 0){
	echo usage: B file ... >[1=2]
	exit usage
}

if(test -f /mnt/term/srv/sam.$user) dest = /mnt/term/srv/sam.$user
if not if(test -f /srv/sam.$user) dest = /srv/sam.$user
if not {
	echo B: can''''t find sam server file >[1=2]
	exit open
}

for(i)
	switch($i){
	case /*
		files = ( $files $i )
	case -*
		line = `{echo $i | sed 's/.//' }
	case *
		files = ( $files `{pwd}^/$i )
	}

echo B $files >> $dest
if(! ~ $line '') echo $line >> $dest

@ 1995-09-26 13:26 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1995-09-26 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>BTW:- why doesn't sam clean its window up properly on exit, acme and mothra
>>      do so, it was like this in the previous release too - i would have
>>     thought it would have been tidied up by now.

that reminds me: new plan 9 users
might not be aware of the following way to use sam.
it works on plan 9 but also on some unix systems.

in my window system startup file,
i typically create one window of significant size in which i run sam.
that remains on screen until i log out (subject to `Hide' in 8½ or 9wm).
as i wander about the system in other windows, i use the B command (see sam(1))
to throw files into it for editing.

on slow terminals, the single sam instance can be invoked as sam -r $cpu.
using this method, you are also rarely bothered by windows containing
the remnants of an instance of sam.