* Out of VGA Hell
@ 1995-09-28  2:51 Steve
From: Steve @ 1995-09-28  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

>I didn't start this to whine; I really have a question:  Has anyone managed to
>install stuff from the Plan 9 CDROM over the net?  If I mount the disc on a
>SunOs 4.1.3 machine, can I read the bits from bela, my plan-9 box?

If you can mount the cdrom on your SunOS system, you can then use tar
(or whatever you prefer) to copy it to a disk. After that, you'll have to
convert the filenames that are not legal for iso9660 format cd's. The full
details of how to do this (from the old release, but it should work the same)
are in the 'Plan 9 Installation Guide' I wrote but did not finish
at url http://www.ecf.toronto.edu/plan9/

Once you've converted the filenames, you can use u9fs to serve the files
from Unix to plan9 systems. You can then use mkfs|mkext to copy them to plan9.

>Or do I need to scrounge a CDROM drive too?

That will make life simpler.

* Out of VGA Hell
@ 1995-09-27 23:50 Berry
From: Berry @ 1995-09-27 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Allright!  After I got my ATM driver working (for SunOS, sorry -- it's my
*real* job) I spent a few minutes with the new VGA card I got after doing the
trade-off "How much does Xerox pay me?  What do VGA cards cost?
Waitaminnit...boss?  Hey boss?"

So, it still doesn't start the window system automatically, but once I figured
out how to type the 1/2 symbol, it came up and I can run acme and everything.
Now I need a 3-button mouse.  Sigh, life at the bottom of the food chain.

I didn't start this to whine; I really have a question:  Has anyone managed to
install stuff from the Plan 9 CDROM over the net?  If I mount the disc on a
SunOs 4.1.3 machine, can I read the bits from bela, my plan-9 box?

Or do I need to scrounge a CDROM drive too?  It can be done, it will just take
longer.

  --berry

Berry Kercheval :: Xerox Palo Alto Research Center