* out of physical memory ?
@ 1995-09-29 18:54 Steve
From: Steve @ 1995-09-29 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesse M. Hammons <jhammons@rogue.PRinceton.EDU> wrote:
>I have a machine with 8 MB of ram.  I can start of mothra, but when I go to the
>AT&T home page, It downloads a bit of the page and then reports "out of
>physical memory" or some such in an infinite loop.

what does 'cat /dev/swap' show before and after you go to the AT&T homepage?
maybe you're running out of ram, but you don't have swap configured?

>I tried fiddling with kernelpercent=... in the plan9.ini, but It doesn't seem
>to help.  Can someone give me a breakdown on what memory get used where?
>For example, how much memory does the kernel itself use, how much (approx) for
>each window, etc.

I'm not sure how to tell how much of the kernel memory is free,
/dev/swap only shows user memory and swap usage.

If the kernel is running out of memory, you should try 'kernelpercent=40'
or 'kernelpercent=50' to give it more memory. When you do this, you should
find the second number reported by /dev/swap decreasing.

You could also try running at a lower resolution or display depth.  1024x768x8
uses about 800K, 640x480x8 uses 300K, 1024x768x1 uses only 100K, and the screen
bitmaps live in the kernel. Each window you open will need kernel memory too.

If user processes are running out of memory, you are either running out of
swap space, or you don't have swapping setup. A look at /dev/swap would help.

On my 386, 8 1/2 uses about 400K, rc uses 112K, dossrv 436K,
and fb/9v uses 360K not including the screen (kernel) memory
which is a function of picture size and display depth.
--
Steve Kotsopoulos  P.Eng.                         steve@ecf.toronto.edu
Systems Analyst,  Engineering Computing Facility, University of Toronto

only message in thread, other threads:[~1995-09-29 18:54 UTC | newest]