* /dev/swap acting weird?
@ 1995-09-30  2:52 philw
From: philw @ 1995-09-30  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

>If my swap device is not big enough, will swapping still work?
Yes until is tries to page out into non-existant blocks
when the kernel will panic in executeio/swap.c

>>with the size of the swap partition. It is a
>>vector of reference counts used to mangae
>If it is much larger than the size reported by /dev/swap, will the
>extra swap space be usable?
No. as I said, a reference count per page is required.

* /dev/swap acting weird?
@ 1995-09-30  2:29 Steve
From: Steve @ 1995-09-30  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1995-09-28 17:06 philw
From: philw @ 1995-09-28 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1995-09-27 19:45 Steve
From: Steve @ 1995-09-27 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

When my Magnum cpuserver boots, I don't have any swap configured.
At that time, here's what /dev/swap reports (I'm bootes on the console):

plan9% cat /dev/swap
304/4300 memory 0/19200 swap

I have 2 identical disks on this system, and I used disk/prep to create
a different sized swap partition on each one. However, when I use
the swap command to enable swapping to these devices, the 'total available'
field doesn't change at all:

plan9% ls -l /dev/sd*swap
--rw-rw-rw- w 0 bootes bootes 35225600 Sep 27 09:59 /dev/sd0swap
--rw-rw-rw- w 8 bootes bootes 67108864 Sep 27 09:59 /dev/sd1swap
plan9% swap /dev/sd0swap
swap: /dev/sd0swap
plan9%
plan9% cat /dev/swap
305/4300 memory 0/19200 swap
plan9%
plan9% swap /dev/sd1swap
swap: /dev/sd1swap
plan9% cat /dev/swap
305/4300 memory 0/19200 swap

I was expecting it to track the size of the swap partition in use.
Am I missing something?