From: Kenji Okamoto okamoto@earth.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp
Subject: Japanese input
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 1995 07:11:20 -0400	[thread overview]

======continued from the former post==========

First of all, please don't get angry to read my posting.   I have good
impression of Plan 9, particulary, by the reason why it tried to carry
an eastern language in itself from the first.

I tried ktrans to test its ability to enter Japanese text for these
several hours.  I've gotten an impression that no native Japanese has
been connected to this project.....

This Japanese input method is based on a very simple table searching,
so it's very fast because the size of Hiragana-->Kanji conversion
dictionary is not so huge.  Unfortunately, it means it's not so
intelligent for my use.  According to my understanding, this kind of
dictionary reference method seems to be there about a decade ago,
and has gone.

If we limit our usage of this input method into a very short letter,
it might be usefull, at least, better than nothing.  However, if we
try to write everyday Japanese document, this cannot be my tool, because
it's too much frustrating to correct the wrong conversion....

We have already much powerful many kinds of Kana->Kanji conversion
engine for unix, such as Wnn and Canna servers which are included
in the X11 distribution.  Of course, I don't saticefied enough by
those conversion engines, however, those are better.

On the contrary mentioned above, ktrans is much better than nothing.
Therefore, standing as this viewpoint,  I have some proposal to
improve the present conversion engine.

1) introduce a "non-transfer" key

     This is very important to give a chance not to transform
intentionally.  There are many cases where we need to input Hiragana
not Kanji.   In the present situation, I have to hit ctl+E, then ctl+G
again.   Hmmm.... It can do!   ....   OK!  please forget this.

The other stuffs we need, if we use it for heavy use of Japanese input.

2) introduce a chance to add a word into the dictionary

3) introduce a learning mechanism for individual's different habit of
   kanji usage.

Anyway, it's very interesting to see the functionality of this kind
from the first in an operatiog system.

Kenji