* Warp and a dot matrix printer
@ 1995-10-05  6:43 Not
From: Not @ 1995-10-05  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

>     From:	Will Rose <cwr@crash.cts.com>
>
>     out in odd directions?  Has anyone seen the ads anywhere else?
>
> i don't see any problem with cat /dev/toaster/status to tell me how
> my toast is toasting.

I agree about the embedded toaster-9 thingy
I have seen an ad in the new UNIX Reveiw

cheers
johnny

* Warp and a dot matrix printer
@ 1995-10-06  4:35 Michael
From: Michael @ 1995-10-06  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

In message <199510060117.BAA10996@earth.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp>, Kenji Okamoto wr
ites:

>> My toaster runs KRONOS.
>
>KRONOS Quartet ?   :-)
>
>Kenji

Nahh, The NOS to end all NOSs

msh

* Warp and a dot matrix printer
@ 1995-10-06  1:17 Kenji
From: Kenji @ 1995-10-06  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> My toaster runs KRONOS.

KRONOS Quartet ?   :-)

Kenji

* Warp and a dot matrix printer
@ 1995-10-05 15:24 d3garfin
From: d3garfin @ 1995-10-05 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Startling to see Plan 9 advertised, full page with 'Source for only
$350',
in Embedded Systems Programming of all places.  Is this some deep plot
to produce a Plan-9 controlled toaster, or just AT&T marketing striking
out in odd directions?  Has anyone seen the ads anywhere else?

----- End Included Message -----

	I have seen the ad in Dr. Dobb's Journal (BTW I knew of
the existance of Plan 9 some years ago, when they published an article
about PLan 9 by the authors).

	I think such magazines are the right place to advertise
a distributred system. Think of the typical PC Magazine/PC
World/Byte/etc.
reader seeing an advertisement of an OS without a spreadsheet and
with a strange name, unable to run DOS applications...

	Borja.

---------

I fail to see what is so odd about seeing Plan 9 in a publication on
embedded systems. In fact I can't think of any commercial area off hand
for which Plan 9 is so well suited for(or in other words I fail to see
how this is "an odd direction"). The embedded systems market seems to be
one of the most rapidly growing areas in the addoption of distributed
systems( ie QNX, LYNX ect.).

* Warp and a dot matrix printer
@ 1995-10-05 12:13 rob
From: rob @ 1995-10-05 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

My toaster runs KRONOS.

-rob

* Warp and a dot matrix printer
@ 1995-10-05  2:13 Boyd
From: Boyd @ 1995-10-05  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

    From:	Will Rose <cwr@crash.cts.com>

@ 1995-10-04 23:41 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1995-10-04 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>Startling to see Plan 9 advertised, full page with 'Source for only $350',
>>in Embedded Systems Programming of all places.  Is this some deep plot
>>to produce a Plan-9 controlled toaster, or just AT&T marketing striking

it's really the Compatible Toast-Searing System in disguise.

* Warp and a dot matrix printer
@ 1995-10-04 23:26 Rich
From: Rich @ 1995-10-04 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some months ago I quoted a brief article from Unigram-X about Plan9,
saying that ATT had a cooperative venture going to build set-top boxes
(you know, Cable++, or land of a thousand channels) that were gonna run
Plan 9.

I've since been led to believe that the project was been scrapped.
	/r$

* Warp and a dot matrix printer
@ 1995-10-04 21:50 Borja
From: Borja @ 1995-10-04 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

----- Begin Included Message -----

Startling to see Plan 9 advertised, full page with 'Source for only $350',
in Embedded Systems Programming of all places.  Is this some deep plot
to produce a Plan-9 controlled toaster, or just AT&T marketing striking
out in odd directions?  Has anyone seen the ads anywhere else?

Will
cwr@crash.cts.com

@ 1995-10-04 21:47 Chuck
From: Chuck @ 1995-10-04 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

There's an ad in the November issue of _UNIX REVIEW_.

--
Chuck Norem
(chuck.norem@indsys.com)

* Warp and a dot matrix printer
@ 1995-10-04 21:35 philw
From: philw @ 1995-10-04 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

>to produce a Plan-9 controlled toaster, or just AT&T marketing striking
>out in odd directions?  Has anyone seen the ads anywhere else?
toasters don't have to be Unix, NT or DOS compatible.
You make opportunities where you can...

* Warp and a dot matrix printer
@ 1995-10-04  9:06 Will