From: Alex Bochannek abochann@cisco.com
Subject: Standalone SPARC.
Date: Sat,  7 Oct 1995 05:01:43 -0400	[thread overview]

I've got a few questions about this.

1) I successfully unpacked the CD onto my drive. After I was done with
   it, I tried to reboot but all I found on the drive (sd1) was the
   old SunOS partition I had on it before and none of the new files. I
   figure I need to do a (SunOS) format before actually doing this,
   correct?

2) Let's say I get my sd1 drive to contain a kfs, how would I use it
   in the boot process? The 9ss kernel doesn't really give me a choice
   to boot locally. Or can I select il and point to my own address? Or
   is there a third boot option like local!#w/w1disk?

3) Does anyone know if there's a way to actually boot the 9ss from the
   internal disk? In the UniOsnabrueck paper (thanks for sending it,
   Petra) it says you can just do a "boot 9ss". Does that mean if I
   take a newly formatted disk under SunOS and do an installboot on
   it, it would be happy? I kinda doubt it. Or is there a SPARC
   version of home(8)?

4) I had a bunch of trouble with the u9fs stuff. Here some tips how I
   finally got it working. I compiled only with the BSD, NEEDPROTO,
   and LOG defines. I used gcc and the -ansi option. And I hardcoded
   "/plan9" in the chroot in u9fs.c because for some reason inetd
   refused to hand over the parameters I had in /etc/inetd.conf. That
   was on a sun4m SPARC with 4.1.3_U1.

Thanks a bunch.

Alex.