From: presotto@plan9.att.com presotto@plan9.att.com
Subject: 4 disk system with a 3C589
Date: Sat,  7 Oct 1995 12:32:38 -0400	[thread overview]

The 9pcdisk on the 4 diskette system has the ether589 driver built in.
There are no utilities to set it up, it should just work if you have

ether0=type=3C589

in plan9.ini.  Of course, we may not be recognizing your pcmcia controller
chip.  If it's an i82365 or the cirrus PD6710 or PD6720, we should.

You cannot boot from the ether if you have a PCMCIA ether card, you have to
boot from the hard disk.  We didn't have room in the 64k b.com for a PCMCIA
driver...

Sender: owner-9fans@cse.psu.edu

It appears to me that some of the utilities required to use the PCMCIA
3C589 ethernet card are not in the 4 disk system.  I have extracted
the CDROM onto another system, so I have access to everything.  Does
anyone have a minimal Plan 9 system running on a notebook with the 3C589?
If so, I would be interested to learn what you had to bring over, beyond
the 4 disk system, to make it go.  Thanks,

				-Paul Borman
				 prb@bsdi.com