* CDROM mount?
@ 1995-10-09 10:53 dhog
From: dhog @ 1995-10-09 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

>And as a personal
>favour, please stop 'centering around' things.  It's mathematically
>unsound...

I could only find two occurances of this in the online manuals
(and none in /sys/doc): road(7) and pip(8), and road(7) is mathematically
sound...

>PS - a really dumb question: what's the pager called?  I tried
>more, less, page, tail, and even view and they weren't present on
>the floppy system, tho' some of them exist.  Ed saves the day!

I was going to say 8 1/2, but Steve Kilbane beat me to it!  There's also
a program called "p" which is like a rudimentary "more".  It's not on
the 4 disk system though.

* CDROM mount?
@ 1995-10-09  9:04 Steve_Kilbane
From: Steve_Kilbane @ 1995-10-09  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Will Rose writes:
> PS - a really dumb question: what's the pager called?

8 1/2. :-)

When I couldn't run a window system, I tended to have a script
that did "sed $num^q $file", or something similar.

steve

* CDROM mount?
@ 1995-10-06  6:44 Will
From: Will @ 1995-10-06  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to install Plan 9 from CDROM, and unfortunately
have only a 500MB hard drive; the current CDROMs need 525MB,
ie. a 1G drive, and I can't afford that at the moment.  I
can boot the floppies, and Plan 9 recognises all the hardware
(WD80xx, Adaptec 1542C, no soundcard); the VGA card isn't
acceptable for windowing, but I can buy another one.

But what I can't do at the moment is find a way to mount the
CDROM - the installation assumes that CDROMs are hung off
a sound card, and tho' the install finds the CDROM on the
Adaptec, the floppy install produces no /dev/sd3fs and I
can't find a way to make one.  I've been down the chain
9660srv => kfs => bind #R, and also taken a look at plan9.ini,
but nothing gells.  (I assume that once I mount the CDROM,
I can find a way to install it in 500MB - if that's a vain
hope, I'd be glad of the information now...).

Can anyone give a simple way to mount a CDROM on a system
built from floppies?  Obviously, I have the manuals so a
reference will do.

Note to the editors - please revise the MSDOS install chapter,
Vol 2 pp. 447-462; it shows its background, covering trivial
MSDOS commands in otiose detail, and falling silent on the more
unusual (to the readers) Plan 9 arcana.  And as a personal
favour, please stop 'centering around' things.  It's mathematically
unsound...

Thanks - Will
cwr@crash.cts.com