From: J. C. Bagley snojcb@unx.sas.com
Subject: NVR config woes
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 11:35:03 -0400	[thread overview]

  I'm having some problems getting my plan9 machine hooked up to the
network.  I have successfully completed installation 2 (Install CD-ROM to
local drive).  I am now trying to complete installation 3a (Make a PC file
server boot disk), but I can never seem to get beyond the "config:" Q&A
successfully.  In other words, my "system crashes horribly" right after I
type 'end' at the config: prompt.
  Here's what I mean by "system crashes horribly:"
  config: service cdpc01
  config: ip 130.96.6.171
  config: ipgw 130.96.6.1
  config: ipmask 255.255.255.0
  config: config w1
  config: filsys main w1
  config: ream main
  config: end
  sysinit
  config w1
          devinit D6.0.1.0
          drive D6.0.1.0 not ready
  wreniocmd: no drive - a=D6.0.1.0 b=0
  wrenread: D6.0.1.0(0) bad status 0040
  stack trace of 1
  (bunch of hex numbers here)

  panic: config io
  cpu 0 exiting
  Hit Reset
  See what I mean!  A stack dump...not pretty.

  (please note that I have added a breakdown of my machine and added the
contents of the plan9.ini file to the end of this e-mail message for
reference.)

  Per installation 3a instructions, I make the boot diskette and boot from
that diskette.  The diskette gives:
(white)
Booting...
Plan9 from Bell labs
(clear screen)
(green)
found 9PCFS:  attr 0x20 start 0x7a len 325461
.+199953.........................+30032..
(clear screen)
scsi0: aha1542: port 330: Failed to INIT controller
 iobufinit
        5299 buffers: 673 hashes
        mem left = 2797567
                out of = 33554432
nvr read
found plan9.nvr attr 0x20 start 0x2f6 len 17

  ** NVR key checksum is incorrect  **
  ** set password to allow attaches **

  ** NVR config checksum is incorrect  **
config:

  Please note the "Failed to INIT controller" message.  After noting that
my SCSI adapter is SCSI ID# 7, I re-made the boot disk and changed scsi0= to
scsi7= in plan9.ini.
  This time I get the exact same messages above minus the "Failed to INIT
controller" line.  This seems a little better, but that doesn't change
anything later on.  My system still "crashes horribly."

  Now I'm stumped.  I know that changing scsi0= to scsi7= should not make
things better because in my other plan9.ini files, I use scsi0= and all
works well there.  Okay, so by this time I was grabbing for straws...

  I would appreciate any and all help that anyone may be able to give.  I
have gone through the FAQs and news group but to no avail.

Frustrated,
J. C. Bagley

SYSTEM:

  DELL Pentium 120MHz with 32Mb of RAM
  Adaptec 1542 series SCSI adapter
  One internal Seagate 1Gb drive (used for DOS, Win95, and C:\PLAN9)
  One external CORE 1Gb drive fully partitioned for Plan9
  One internal CD-ROM
  17" IBM 17P Monitor (supports up tp 1280x1024)
  Ethernet 3C509 card
  Two button mouse

  SCSI 0:   Seagate
  SCSI 1:   CORE
  SCSI 2-4: NONE
  SCSI 5:   CD-ROM
  SCSI 6:   NONE
  SCSI 7:   Adaptec SCSI adapter

PLAN9.INI on boot diskette
  ether0=type=3C509
  mouseport=ps2
  monitor=vga
  vgasize=800x600x1
  scsi0=type=aha1542 port=0x330
  cdrom0=type=panasonic port0x230
  console=cga
  bootfile=fd!0!9pcfs

J. C. Bagley            |             Room:  R4471
SAS Institute, Inc.     |    Email Address:  snojcb@unx.sas.com
SAS Campus Drive        |            Phone:  (919) 677-8000 x3867
Cary, NC  27513         |              FAX:  (919) 677-4444