* 3C589 troubles and an update
@ 1995-10-13 15:08 presotto
From: presotto @ 1995-10-13 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

The irq vector comes out of the card information structure in
attribute memory on the card.  If we're getting that wrong
we're confused at some basic level.

I'ld guess that its not receiving because the interrupts aren't
working.

If you send me
1) the output of aux/pcmcia
2) the changes you made to the driver

maybe I'll have a sublime revelation.

It would be nice to figure out how to distinguish your chip from
a Cirrus.  I'll look for a data sheet for a vadem controller.
Happen to have the ship number?

Sender: owner-9fans@cse.psu.edu

Due to a few unfortunately placed disk blocks on my main disk of my
production machine, I recently had time to investigate my 3C589 problems
under Plan 9 while restore was spinning tapes under BSD/OS.

I have the vadem PCMCIA controller in my WinbookXP.  Plan 9 seems to
think it is a Cirrus chip, so I hacked it to skip that test.  The 3C589
still was not recognized, even though aux/pcmcia seemed to report reasonable
things.  I then dertmined it was not recognized because as it reported 0x0001
as the list of availble irqs (i.e. irq0 only).  I hacked this code to return
irqs 11, 10 and 5 after which the 3C589 was recognized and configured to
irq 10 (same irq it is configured for under BSD/OS).  Now it appears to be
sending out packets (tcpdump on another machine on the same ethernet saw
it requesting arp entries) but it does not appear to see any incoming
packets.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I am afraid my knowledge of PCMCIA is
somewhat deficient.

				-Paul Borman
				 prb@bsdi.com

* 3C589 troubles and an update