From: Michael Bravo mbravo@alcatel.spb.su
Subject: Plan 9 install notes
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 05:16:28 -0400	[thread overview]

Hi,

16 Oct 95, 9fans@cse.psu.edu writes to Michael Bravo:

 9pe> The message that follows details all the things I wish I'd known
 9pe> before I started installing Plan 9 from CDROM on a PC.  If you've
 9pe> been using Plan 9 for more than a couple of hours, it has no value
 9pe> for you - quit now.

In fact, any details like these are valuable. My personal opinion is that if we
have a trial version, then we have to try things out and share the experiences.

To throw in my $0.02 worth -

1) As I already mentioned a while ago, there is a discrepancy between the
statements about 4-meg usage and real life. You cannot install in 4 megs -
system runs out of memory, and I do not know of any way you can avoid that
(enable swapping?). However, when you install in 8 megs, you can then run on 4
meg system.

2) There's a whole lot of strange things with aux/mouse. On one occasion, it
didn't recognise my mouse as 3-button. On my brother's system, it refused to
recognise the mouse at all, saying 'unknown mouse type'. He fized it by
removing the 'mouseport' statement from plan9.ini altogether, and after asking
about the moe port on startup, it worked. I have heard that there are switches
for aux/mouse, allowing to force mouse type, but man page doesn't list any.

 9pe> The main disadvantage of the PC version of Plan 9 is that it has
 9pe> no knowledge of the standard partition table, which means that it
 9pe> doesn't play nicely with other OSes.

I agree, and also, you have no way to verify partition integrity, both for
Plan9 and for previously installed systems.

And as a final note, I think that not including ppp client in a trial
distribution put out on Internet is pretty cruel :) HHOS

/\/\ike                               PGP public key  67C4EA8EEBF67C51
                                         fingerprint  2C8B78790C8ADCDC

--- GoldED 2.41