From: jmk@plan9.att.com jmk@plan9.att.com
Subject: PC installation problem with aha1542.
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 17:53:12 -0400	[thread overview]

Here's what was posted earlier in the week. Note that the 1542CP is new and
we've haven't tried it.

	you need the new version of b.com on plan9.att.com in the pcdist subdirectory,
	the floppy disc images have not been updated with this fix yet.
	alternatively, you can try turning off the options described in the source comment
	below

		/*
		 * If the BIOS is enabled on the 1542C/CF and BIOS options for support of drives
		 * > 1Gb, dynamic scanning of the SCSI bus or more than 2 drives under DOS 5.0 are
		 * enabled, the BIOS disables accepting Cmbinit to protect against running with
		 * drivers which don't support those options. In order to unlock the interface
		 * it is necessary to read a lock-code using Cextbios and write it back using
		 * Cmbienable; the lock-code is non-zero.
		 */

Sender: owner-9fans@cse.psu.edu

I'm having trouble getting the PC distribution to install on an Intel
pentium system with an aha1542 SCSI adapter.

I booted off a diskette built from the instructions in 'Read this section
if you have trouble installing on the PC.' The hardware rollcall says

Adaptec AHA-1540CP/1542CP BIOS v1.02

SCSI ID #0 seagate st31230n drive c: (80h)
SCSI ID #1 seagate st32550n drive d: (81h)
SCSI ID #6 toshiba xm-4101tasunlcd

Swapped floppies to the Plan 9 disk1, downloaded today

C:\>A:b

Goes to 'Configure SCSI' screen -- I chose the aha154x[BC] option at the
default port 0x330 and rebooted.

5569 free pages, 22276K bytes, swap 111236K, highwater 1112K, headroom 1388K
CPU is a 99 MHz Pentium735 (cpuid: ax 525 dx 1bf)
scsi0: aha1542: port 330 irq 11, dma 5
fs...time...

(Long pause, then)

            adaptec0: timeout cmd=#00
adaptec0: invdcmd #02, len 1

(Another long pause)

adaptec0: timeout cmd=#03
adaptec0: invdcmd #02, len 1

(Another long pause)

adaptec0: timeout cmd=#1b
adaptec0: invdcmd #02, len 1

at which point I gave up.  I don't know anything about PCs per se; the
SCSI adapter seems to be at the default settings, according to Adaptec's
utility program.  Any suggestion?