* PC installation problem with aha1542.
@ 1995-10-21 17:25 Will
From: Will @ 1995-10-21 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jim Davis (jdavis@cs.ARizona.EDU) wrote:
: I'm having trouble getting the PC distribution to install on an Intel
: pentium system with an aha1542 SCSI adapter.

: I booted off a diskette built from the instructions in 'Read this section
: if you have trouble installing on the PC.' The hardware rollcall says

: Adaptec AHA-1540CP/1542CP BIOS v1.02

: SCSI ID #0 seagate st31230n drive c: (80h)
: SCSI ID #1 seagate st32550n drive d: (81h)
: SCSI ID #6 toshiba xm-4101tasunlcd

: Swapped floppies to the Plan 9 disk1, downloaded today

: C:\>A:b

: Goes to 'Configure SCSI' screen -- I chose the aha154x[BC] option at the
: default port 0x330 and rebooted.

: 5569 free pages, 22276K bytes, swap 111236K, highwater 1112K, headroom 1388K
: CPU is a 99 MHz Pentium735 (cpuid: ax 525 dx 1bf)
: scsi0: aha1542: port 330 irq 11, dma 5
: fs...time...

: (Long pause, then)
:
:             adaptec0: timeout cmd=#00
: adaptec0: invdcmd #02, len 1

I saw this once or twice, but don't know what I did to fix it; I'd
be inclined to slow the SCSI bus down as much as possible, and turn
off sync negotiation, fast SCSI and enable disconnect at the Adaptec's
'Ctrl-A' bios menu.  I run plan 9 on a 1542CF with less restrictive
settings, but that might get it to boot.  The other thing might be
to stop the CP automatically reconfiguring itself, if it does - I
haven't used one.

Will
cwr@crash.cts.com

* PC installation problem with aha1542.
@ 1995-10-20 23:36 Jim
From: Jim @ 1995-10-20 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks!  The new b.com, plus disabling

Extended BIOS Translation for DOS Drives > 1GB
Dynamically Scan SCSI Bus for BIOS Drives
BIOS Support for More Than 2 Drives (MS-DOS 5.0 and above)

in the 'Advanced configuration options' menu of SCSISelect seems to have
done the trick.

* PC installation problem with aha1542.
@ 1995-10-20 21:53 jmk
From: jmk @ 1995-10-20 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here's what was posted earlier in the week. Note that the 1542CP is new and
we've haven't tried it.

	you need the new version of b.com on plan9.att.com in the pcdist subdirectory,
	the floppy disc images have not been updated with this fix yet.
	alternatively, you can try turning off the options described in the source comment
	below

		/*
		 * If the BIOS is enabled on the 1542C/CF and BIOS options for support of drives
		 * > 1Gb, dynamic scanning of the SCSI bus or more than 2 drives under DOS 5.0 are
		 * enabled, the BIOS disables accepting Cmbinit to protect against running with
		 * drivers which don't support those options. In order to unlock the interface
		 * it is necessary to read a lock-code using Cextbios and write it back using
		 * Cmbienable; the lock-code is non-zero.
		 */

[...]

(Another long pause)

adaptec0: timeout cmd=#03
adaptec0: invdcmd #02, len 1

(Another long pause)

adaptec0: timeout cmd=#1b
adaptec0: invdcmd #02, len 1

at which point I gave up.  I don't know anything about PCs per se; the
SCSI adapter seems to be at the default settings, according to Adaptec's
utility program.  Any suggestion?

* PC installation problem with aha1542.
@ 1995-10-20 21:35 Flaming
From: Flaming @ 1995-10-20 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jim Davis spake:

> I'm having trouble getting the PC distribution to install on an Intel
> pentium system with an aha1542 SCSI adapter.

I had the same problem with an aha1542 and a fujistsu drive, as long as
the drive was hooked by the BIOS.  I removed the drive from 1542's scan
and booted and installed from a small IDE drive.  There's a newer b.com,
ftp://plan9.att.com/plan9/pcdist/b.com, which is supposed to fix this.
I am going to try it as soon as i get home tonight...

Ben Singer

* PC installation problem with aha1542.
@ 1995-10-20 20:53 Jim