* Two OLD questions.
@ 1995-10-22  3:16 jmk
From: jmk @ 1995-10-22  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

	I'm confused because I'm dealing with the same problem. The 4-disk system
	seems to want SoundBlaster attachment for the CD-ROM, but my
	SoundBlaster16 attaches CD-ROM drives as IDE CD-ROMs (and it doesn't
	work). Could some (patient, tolerant) person explain to a non-PC person
	like me what I need to hook up to get the CD-ROM loaded? I currently have
	an NEC CD-ROM drive attached through a SoundBlaster 16 card's IDE CD-ROM
	port.

Originally, the Sound Blaster 16 CD-ROM port used a proprietary interface to attach
Mitsumi, Panasonic or Matsushita CD-ROM drives. IDE (ATAPI) CD-ROM drives have become
popular recently and there are now Sound Blaster 16's which can use those drives (e.g.
the Vibra 16). We didn't have time to incorporate ATAPI support in the distribution
but I am testing a driver right now and hope to have it available in an updated 4-disc
system soon.

* Two OLD questions.
@ 1995-10-23 20:13 Sandy
From: Sandy @ 1995-10-23 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some fairly old PC history:

Mike Taylor  <mtaylor@scruznet.COM> wrote:

>>         1)  I have IDE edvices in my computer.  Can anyone recommend
>>             a CD-ROM (IDE) that is proven to work with plan9 ?
>>             (as in the distribution CD-ROM.)
>>
>> As currently distributed, there is no support for IDE (ATAPI) CD-ROMs.

Some ATAPI code has been posted to this newsgroup, but that does you no
good until you've installed.

>I'm confused because I'm dealing with the same problem. The 4-disk system
>seems to want SoundBlaster attachment for the CD-ROM, but my
>SoundBlaster16 attaches CD-ROM drives as IDE CD-ROMs (and it doesn't
>work). Could some (patient, tolerant) person explain to a non-PC person
>like me . . .

At one point, CD-ROMs were either SCSI and expensive or a proprietary
interface, different for each vendor. The 1st SoundBlasters with a
CD-ROM interface used Panasonic's proprietary interface; Creative
Labs who make the SB would also sell you a Panasonic drive with a
Creative labels on it.

The SoundBlaster 16 MCD supported Multiple CDs: Your choice of Sony,
Mitsumi or Panasonic's proprietary interface. Methinks that's the
card Plan 9 supports.

Within the last year or so, the IDE spec has been expanded & renamed
ATAPI. IDE interface CD-ROMs have taken over most of the market. As
far as I know, all quad-speed CD-ROMs are either IDE or SCSI. So are
most of the recent double speeds.

Current SB 16's, using the Vibra chip, have an IDE CD interface.
That's the card you have. I don't think you can install Plan 9
from it.
 --
 Sandy Harris
 sharris@fox.nstn.ca

* Two OLD questions.
@ 1995-10-21  4:34 Mike
From: Mike @ 1995-10-21  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <95Oct18.144203edt.78394@colossus.cse.psu.edu>,
9fans@cse.psu.edu wrote:

>         1)  I have IDE edvices in my computer.  Can anyone recommend
>             a CD-ROM (IDE) that is proven to work with plan9 ?
>             (as in the distribution CD-ROM.)
>
> As currently distributed, there is no support for IDE (ATAPI) CD-ROMs.

I'm confused because I'm dealing with the same problem. The 4-disk system
seems to want SoundBlaster attachment for the CD-ROM, but my
SoundBlaster16 attaches CD-ROM drives as IDE CD-ROMs (and it doesn't
work). Could some (patient, tolerant) person explain to a non-PC person
like me what I need to hook up to get the CD-ROM loaded? I currently have
an NEC CD-ROM drive attached through a SoundBlaster 16 card's IDE CD-ROM
port.
Thanks
Mike T

--
Mike Taylor
At home

* Two OLD questions.
@ 1995-10-18 18:20 jmk
From: jmk @ 1995-10-18 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

	1)  I have IDE edvices in my computer.  Can anyone recommend
	    a CD-ROM (IDE) that is proven to work with plan9 ?
	    (as in the distribution CD-ROM.)

As currently distributed, there is no support for IDE (ATAPI) CD-ROMs.
I'm testing an update to the 4-disc set which will have support and am
using a Toshiba XM-5302B (or OTHSBI AMX5-03B2 as it likes to identify itself).
I've also tried a Mitsumi FX-400 without problem but I think the Toshiba
is better quality (personal opinion).

* Two OLD questions.
@ 1995-10-18 17:41 Richard
From: Richard @ 1995-10-18 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 	2) Using the disk given out at Sun World, (OLD, OLD, OLD),
> 	   I was able to bring up the network just by using ipconfig.
>
> 	   Now, with the 4-disk "test" distribution, I'm having problems.
>
> 	My /lib/ndb/local file looks thus:
---snip---
> 	#
> 	sys=baradur  dom=baradur.mordor.com
> 	   ip=192.92.11.2 ether=0000C044F82C

---snip---
> 	What am i doing wrong / failing to do ?

On old systems (and maybe new ones as well), ether= must be *lower case*.

* Two OLD questions.
@ 1995-10-18 15:44 James
From: James @ 1995-10-18 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

	Sorry folks,

	I'm running to catch up with the bandwagon.

	1)  I have IDE edvices in my computer.  Can anyone recommend
	    a CD-ROM (IDE) that is proven to work with plan9 ?
	    (as in the distribution CD-ROM.)

	2) Using the disk given out at Sun World, (OLD, OLD, OLD),
	   I was able to bring up the network just by using ipconfig.

	   Now, with the 4-disk "test" distribution, I'm having problems.

	My /lib/ndb/local file looks thus:

---

	#
	sys=baradur  dom=baradur.mordor.com
	   ip=192.92.11.2 ether=0000C044F82C
	   bootfile=/386/9pcdisk
	   proto=il
	#
	#
	ipnet=mordor-net  ip=192.92.11.0 ipmask 255.255.255.0
	  ipgw=192.92.11.3
	#

---

	What am i doing wrong / failing to do ?

	(Please comment only on the two questions, If you answer the
	 last question(s) in general, remember I only have 4 GB of disk.)

	Thanks for any help,

	Jim