* Can someone help out a newbie ?
@ 1995-10-22  6:27 Will
From: Will @ 1995-10-22  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthew David ALDOUS (aldous@mundil.CS.mu.OZ.AU) wrote:
: Hiya, I've got some general installation questions,
: and think if I explain my situation, someone might be
: able to fill me in on what to do.

: I'd love to try to get the networking started, but I hit a dead wall
: when it came to editing the file. I guess I'm a new enough admin
: that I don't know ed really that well. (Yoikes) - I've grown up
: on vi. Never touched that emacs stuff ;) Throughout the manual
: it refers to just "editing" the file - but for those of use
: who don't know ed that well, eek. So I turned to sam, and when
: I started it, I got a window at the top of the screen, and another
: window down the bottom. Then I look through the manual on how to
: use sam, and I'm stuck. *thud*

Sam really needs the third mouse button; and also a knowledge of
(you guessed it) ed... most of the commands are pretty ed-like.
But once you get used to it, it's quite nice.  I really missed
not having vi during the install, until I got the windowing system
up and sam running; I even edited a few files on another machine,
and moved them across.

(To start with sam, try 'sam foo', where foo is an existing file.
The cunning part is that foo won't display on the main, lower
screen until you select 'foo' from either the middle or (perhaps) the
right mouse buttons pop-up.  To save a file, it's easiest to
click on the top, command window and enter w, then q.  After that,
all is more or less jake except that you have to remember that the
eskimos have 100 words for snow, and ed has one word for error '?'.)

: Before I go further, is it possible for me to do what I want to
: do? One thing I have noticed that struck me as odd, was that if
: I do an lc, or anything that goes longer than the screen, the screen
: doesn't scroll down. I have to use the mouse to move it down. Is
: this normal?

Yes, that threw me for a while, but the default screen for user
none is non-scrolling.  Normal users get normal screens - or you
can edit (oops, sorry) the user profile and remove 8.5's -s option.

: Oh, and is it possible to have it boot directly from your harddrive
: instead of loading dos? (It was damn hard finding a DOS machine -
: all the PC's around here run NetBSD or Linux.)

I've been hacking on this, but have done very little.  It's obviously
the second thing to fix, after the partition table.

Will
cwr@crash.cts.com

* Can someone help out a newbie ?
@ 1995-10-21 11:33 Matthew
From: Matthew @ 1995-10-21 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hiya, I've got some general installation questions,
and think if I explain my situation, someone might be
able to fill me in on what to do.

I have a spare pc or two on our local network here on which
I can install plan nine. I also have a few spare Personal Iris's
and about 40 or 50 sun 3/50's. I would like to configure the
Personal Iris's as CPU/FILESERVER machines, and have the diskless
sun 3/50's running off them. Numerous people here have expressed
interest in getting plan9 working.

However, when it comes to installing the ethernet card, I only
have an NI6510, (every machine at uni here does practically - it's
the only thing we're allowed to buy) - but I noticed it might
do NE2000 (and there's only NE2100 - is that right? something like
that.) - I can only assume it might work.

When it boots, I get the screen, I follow the stuff in the manuals.

I *have* the CD - and want to install it over the network. (The PC's
I can do this to don't have CDroms in them.) - Is this possible?

[...]

ltr.

--
The Commonwealth shall not make any law for establishing any religion, or for
imposing any religious observance, or for prohibiting the free exercise of any