* SS2 Standalone issues
@ 1995-10-26 16:00 Borja
From: Borja @ 1995-10-26 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> JUSTdan (dan@dan.COM) wrote:
>
> : Much thanks to those who have helped me get much further along in the
> : standalone installation.. So far, I have:
>
> : 1) mounted the cdrom while booted into sunos, copied /sparc/bin/9sscd into the
> : root of the sunos partition and issued a 'reboot 9sscd' command to boot with
> : the cd kernel.
> : 2) specified local as boot device, and entered the user name 'sys' to match
> : most of the system file ownerships.
> : 3) bound in the sd1 disk to unpack the cd onto with:
>
> : bind -a '#'w1 /dev           (I didnt realize earlier that '' was needed.)
> [...good stuff skipped...]
>
> Join the club - I had several hours of struggle when installing Plan 9
> on a PC thro' forgetting to escape #; I'd read about it, but of course
> forgot it again.  It has to go in the FAQ, underlined for emphasis...

	Just remember that # is the comment start in shell commands...

	Borja.

Borja Marcos               | Preferred: borjam@we.lc.ehu.es
Alangoeta, 11, 1. izq.     | Others:    borjamar@mx.sarenet.es
48990 - Algorta (Vizcaya)  |            100015.3502@compuserve.com
SPAIN                      | CIS:       100015,3502
(c)1995 by the author.
This message cannot be transferred to the Microsoft(tm) Network.

* SS2 Standalone issues
@ 1995-10-23 19:18 Will
From: Will @ 1995-10-23 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

JUSTdan (dan@dan.COM) wrote:

: Much thanks to those who have helped me get much further along in the
: standalone installation.. So far, I have:

: 1) mounted the cdrom while booted into sunos, copied /sparc/bin/9sscd into the
: root of the sunos partition and issued a 'reboot 9sscd' command to boot with
: the cd kernel.
: 2) specified local as boot device, and entered the user name 'sys' to match
: most of the system file ownerships.
: 3) bound in the sd1 disk to unpack the cd onto with:

: bind -a '#'w1 /dev           (I didnt realize earlier that '' was needed.)
[...good stuff skipped...]

Join the club - I had several hours of struggle when installing Plan 9
on a PC thro' forgetting to escape #; I'd read about it, but of course
forgot it again.  It has to go in the FAQ, underlined for emphasis...

Will
cwr@crash.cts.com

* SS2 Standalone issues
@ 1995-10-23  5:06 JUSTdan
From: JUSTdan @ 1995-10-23  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Much thanks to those who have helped me get much further along in the
standalone installation.. So far, I have:

1) mounted the cdrom while booted into sunos, copied /sparc/bin/9sscd into the
root of the sunos partition and issued a 'reboot 9sscd' command to boot with
the cd kernel.
2) specified local as boot device, and entered the user name 'sys' to match
most of the system file ownerships.
3) bound in the sd1 disk to unpack the cd onto with:

bind -a '#'w1 /dev           (I didnt realize earlier that '' was needed.)
disk/prep /dev/sd1disk
disk/kfs -rb4096 -f/dev/sd1fs
mount -c /srv/kfs /n/kremvax (You cant write to /n to create mt pts,so use this)

4) bound in the 9660 cdrom with:

bind -a '#'r6 /dev
9660srv
mount -c /srv/9660 /n/c: /dev/cd6 (again, using any mt pt)

5) unpacked the cd to sd1 with:

disk/mkfs -a -u /adm/users -s /n/c: -z 4096 /lib/proto/allproto | disk/mkext -u
-v -d /n/kremvax

[Thanks primarily to Alex Bochannek at Cisco for helping me get this far.]

Now, more questions to finish this off:

While doing (5) I got complaints on every file about creation time, and on
a large number of files about not having the same gid or uid as the originals.
Should I be concerned about this? Is there a better way to unpack this that
will preserve _all_ of this if so?

Next, I am unable to reboot with this as my primary filesystem by specifying
local!#w1, i suppose because there are multiple partitions on this device..
(I accepted the default plan9 partitioning suggestions) How do I specify the
proper startup offset in this statement so the system will boot from
the portion of this drive with the filesystem on it? Or should I perhaps be
using something other than 9sscd at this point? Im still trying this as the
shipped 9ss kernel does not have a 'local' option, only il and tcp.

Thanks much.. when I get these few issues sorted out, perhaps we can add the
complete instructions to the faq... the info presently there about making a
single user ss2 has not been adequete for me as a plan9 newbie.

thanks,

dan