* adaptec aha-2940
@ 1995-10-26 16:36 jmk
From: jmk @ 1995-10-26 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

This should be in a FAQ: there is no support for any Adaptec AHA-2xxx series
controller. It would be great if someone wrote a driver since these are popular
and show up embedded on motherboards. However, it's completely different from
any other Adaptec controller and I've been convinced by others on the list that
a driver would be a fair amount of work. A month or so ago this was my response:

    None that I know of. Someone should probably do it as the Adaptec 2xxx controllers
    are fairly popular. However, it's unlikely to be me as
	1) I tried again to get the manuals only to receive the "User's Guide"
	   like I did 2 years ago and on further inquiry discover the useful
	   manuals are all on back-order;
	2) I don't have a controller and they do seem rather expensive compared
	   to the NCR8xx alternatives with similar performance;
	3) I looked at the Linux driver after this question came up last time
	   and got frightened.

Sender: owner-9fans@cse.psu.edu

Hi,

We have a few Gateway machines with Adaptec AHA-2940 PCI SCSI Master
controllers.  So far as I can tell, Plan9 doesn''t seem to be happily
recognizing them.  Can anybody give me any advice on where to go from
here?  I'm willing to spend up to say 5*20 hours writing a device
driver (Mountain Dew, yummy) if that is the best route.  Advice as to
which parts of the source I can cut and paste, potential similarities
with say the 1542, etc etc would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Please reply via e-mail and through the newsgroup (just in case our
newsreader chokes),

nate

* adaptec aha-2940
@ 1995-10-26 23:21 Stephen
From: Stephen @ 1995-10-26 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hi,
>
> We have a few Gateway machines with Adaptec AHA-2940 PCI SCSI Master
> controllers.  So far as I can tell, Plan9 doesn''t seem to be happily
> recognizing them.  Can anybody give me any advice on where to go from
> here?  I'm willing to spend up to say 5*20 hours writing a device
> driver (Mountain Dew, yummy) if that is the best route.  Advice as to
> which parts of the source I can cut and paste, potential similarities
> with say the 1542, etc etc would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Many of the free UN*X clones have drivers for this beast - the one for FreeBSD
is particularly good. Found in all the usual  places (ftp.cdrom.com, which
happens to be a FreeBSD machine)

--

        I do not speak for the Worker's Compensation Board of Queensland -
                     They don't pay me enough for that!

* adaptec aha-2940
@ 1995-10-26 18:18 Steven
From: Steven @ 1995-10-26 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

>	1) I tried again to get the manuals only to receive the "User's Guide"
>	   like I did 2 years ago and on further inquiry discover the useful
>	   manuals are all on back-order;

As of a week ago this is still the case.  The phone droid couldn't give me any
time frame as to when they would be available.  "Not too long," was all he'd
say.

When ordering the Technical Manual, the droid asks what type of project and
what OS you're working on.  I don't think "OS research" and "Plan 9" were the
right answers.  I may call back and try "objectorientedmultimediadatabaseWorld-
WideWebgroupwarebrowser" and "Windows 95".
Steven Plite  <splite@wdni.com>       Open Systems Eng. & Support, Weyerhaeuser
  "This is the roller coaster of endless and violent vomit..."   -- Jason Fox

* adaptec aha-2940
@ 1995-10-25  2:26 Nathan