* datasheets for the CMD640b and RZ1000 PCI IDE chips
@ 1995-10-30 12:42 Arno
From: Arno @ 1995-10-30 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

how about looking at some linux code (I have a buggy CMD640 and linux
just recongnizes that and deals with it properly) or looking at
www.intel.com when I last visited there I saw they had some info on
the RZ1000 topic.

* datasheets for the CMD640b and RZ1000 PCI IDE chips
@ 1995-10-30 14:48 jmk
From: jmk @ 1995-10-30 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

CMD eventually faxed me the relevant pages for the CMD640B.

None of the 'information' available on the internet (yes, I read it before
I asked here) is of any use in actually fiddling the bits.

Yes, I looked at the Linux code for the CMD640B, and yes, I still needed the datasheet.

I don't have a motherboard with the RZ1000, does anyone?

@ 1995-10-27 19:20 btutt
From: btutt @ 1995-10-27 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

In comp.os.plan9 you write:

>I've been unable to get the datasheets for these chips from the respective
>manufacturers so I can turn off prefetch and, in the case of the CMD at least,
>enable the second controller. If someone has either the datasheets and could
>FAX them to me (+1 908 582 4417) or can supply the missing parts of the
>following pseudo-code I'd be most grateful. Thanks.

>	if controller is one of the above
>		read some PCI config register
>		alter some bits
>		write the config register back
Unfortunately I dont have either...
I know intel has a web page on the rz1000 chips..
and the current linux source code detects CMD640b and rz1000
and handles it... you might want to check it out.
Wish i could be of more help... I'd gladly try and write a aha driver based
off of the linux one, but unfortunately... I dont have the cash to afford a
plan 9 Cd. :)

Now if we could only figure out how to get the aic-7850's working with the
linux aic7xxx driver. :)

Bill Tutt
btutt@iastate.edu

* datasheets for the CMD640b and RZ1000 PCI IDE chips
@ 1995-10-27 18:50 Will
From: Will @ 1995-10-27 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <95Oct26.143502edt.78669@colossus.cse.psu.edu> you wrote:
: I've been unable to get the datasheets for these chips from the respective
: manufacturers so I can turn off prefetch and, in the case of the CMD at least,
: enable the second controller. If someone has either the datasheets and could
: FAX them to me (+1 908 582 4417) or can supply the missing parts of the
: following pseudo-code I'd be most grateful. Thanks.

: 	if controller is one of the above
: 		read some PCI config register
: 		alter some bits
: 		write the config register back

Try Roedy Green, roedy@BIX.COM.  He's done a lot of work on the problems
with these controllers, and will probably know of sources.

Will
cwr@crash.cts.com

* datasheets for the CMD640b and RZ1000 PCI IDE chips
@ 1995-10-27 14:50 Peter
From: Peter @ 1995-10-27 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

In comp.os.plan9 you write:

>I've been unable to get the datasheets for these chips from the respective
>manufacturers so I can turn off prefetch and, in the case of the CMD at least,
>enable the second controller. If someone has either the datasheets and could
>FAX them to me (+1 908 582 4417) or can supply the missing parts of the
>following pseudo-code I'd be most grateful. Thanks.

>	if controller is one of the above
>		read some PCI config register
>		alter some bits
>		write the config register back

	I saw an article in the local free computer paper that said both of
these chips have a number of bugs. A set of test programs and places for
discussion are listed as follows:

the article itself

 ftp.cdrom.com/.4/os2/incoming/eidete16.zip

	The author is Roedy Green (Roedy@bix.com)

PC tech essay:

http://www.mei.microm.com/rz1000/rz1000.txt

Pat Duffy's Web site

hhtp://warp.eecs.berkeley.edu/os2/workbench/work.htm

* datasheets for the CMD640b and RZ1000 PCI IDE chips
@ 1995-10-26 17:50 jmk