* IP Implementation of Plan 9
@ 1995-10-31 16:24 beto
From: beto @ 1995-10-31 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <9510302212.AA03541@mwtech.rent-a-guru.de>
	Martin Weitzel <Martin.Weitzel@rent-a-guru.de> wrote:

> This is not tied to any specific problem, just out of curiosity:
>
> Recently I gave a short introduction to Plan 9 for a couple of persons.
> One question I could not answer was whether the IP implementation was
> written "all fresh" or taken from any other system (e.g. the streams
> based implementation of SVR4).  A related question from the same person
> was if multicast addressing is supported by the IP implementation of Plan 9.

Multicast is not supported in the new release. We, in basser, add multicast
to the IP code, ethernet filtering and counting, and IGMP processing in
user-mode. We have a 9vat application, but it's not extremely clever
with missed and duplicated messages.

If you are interesting in the code, or want to improve 9vat ☺ please
mail me.

beto

* IP Implementation of Plan 9
@ 1995-10-31 17:36 philw
From: philw @ 1995-10-31 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wrote the IP code from scratch. IL is
completely new to plan9.

* IP Implementation of Plan 9
@ 1995-10-30 23:27 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1995-10-30 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>written "all fresh" or taken from any other system (e.g. the streams
>>based implementation of SVR4).  A related question from the same person

the streams based implementation of SVR4 i've seen is the BSD implementation
with the word `sockets' crossed out in crayon and the word `streams' written in.
the plan 9 implementation does not resemble any streams implementation
normally available with unix source.  this probably has good aspects
and bad aspects, but all in all it's an improvement.

* IP Implementation of Plan 9
@ 1995-10-30 22:12 Martin