* user ID of adm
@ 1995-10-31 16:57 philw
From: philw @ 1995-10-31 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

>According to the docs, a negative id simply means that the file server
>will not allow anybody to authenicate to that id.  So the only way to
>create such a file is from the fs console, but as above, you can't.

adm is not a real user. It is a place holder for file system
admin files in /adm created during installation. It is the console
uid used by newuser etc to maintain the user database in /adm. I see no
conflict with either the description or function of adm.

* user ID of adm
@ 1995-11-01  8:35 Kenji
From: Kenji @ 1995-11-01  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Hi, everyone.
> >
> > I've gotten, at last :-), a working Plan 9 system in my room, which consists
> > of only 3 PCs, AMD DX4/120 for CPU(AUTH) server, two 486DX/33s for file
> > server and a terminal.  My system is standalone, though.

> I would be nice if you can write a tutorial or summarize you experiences
> for `Auth', file and terminal servers (including the exact hardware that
> you are using. I think that it will be beneficial for quite a few
> people.

Most of my trouble came from my lack of knowledge of Plan 9.  Then, I've
read and read manuals and relevant sources, particularly 'build.c' under
/sys/lib/pcdist/src helped me much.

One point I can say is that you should have efective c:/plan9/lib/ndb/local
file under the DOS partition.   In my case, I wrote three entries of lines
begining with 'ip=', which someone described here previously, for all
the three machines.   This will fake 9dos. :-)

I'm using SOYO's 486 motherboard(SY-27B) + 3COM 3C509B + AMD DX4/120SV8B
(write-back internal cache type) for CPU(AUTH) server with 16MB RAM.
(unfortunately, DOS 6.2J does not boot up, but Plan 9 can. ^_^)  This is
a diskless machine.  This is the only one machine with 72 pin SIMM, aka
new one.

An old 486 motherboard(about 4 years ago) + AHA1542B + Quantum Fireball
1080S + 486DX/33MHz + 16MB RAM for my file server.  No problems without
a trivial one, that is it's not so fast.  :-) An older Prodesigner II is
its VGA card.

An old 486 motherboard(also about 3.5 years ago) + SMC 8013EP + AHA1542B
+ old 200MB Maxtor LXT-200S + Machspeed VGA 1600(et4000/W32) and 8MB RAM
for terminal.

All the SVGA cards I have do not work over 640x480x1.  ;_;

Kenji

* user ID of adm
@ 1995-10-31 13:44 Ishwar
From: Ishwar @ 1995-10-31 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 30 Oct 1995, Kenji Okamoto wrote:

> Hi, everyone.
>
> I've gotten, at last :-), a working Plan 9 system in my room, which consists
> of only 3 PCs, AMD DX4/120 for CPU(AUTH) server, two 486DX/33s for file
> server and a terminal.  My system is standalone, though.  I've had long
> hard time to pick up the hardwares and to setup this system... I convince
> myself I could not achive it without the helps from this mailing-list.
> Thanks all very much.

I would be nice if you can write a tutorial or summarize you experiences
for `Auth', file and terminal servers (including the exact hardware that
you are using. I think that it will be beneficial for quite a few
people.
- Ishwar Rattan

* user ID of adm
@ 1995-10-31 12:05 G.David
From: G.David @ 1995-10-31 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Scott Schwartz <schwartz@galapagos.cse.psu.edu> writes:
>Kenji Okamoto <okamoto@earth.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp> writes:
>| In my system, the user ID of adm is '-1', but none ocuupies UID of 0.
>| Although I'm sure I did something wrong, I cannot login as adm user now.
>| Does anyone can advise what's wrong with my system?
>
>On the contrary, it sounds like authentication is now working
>properly.  0 doesn't mean root---there is no such thing in plan9.  It
>is intended that no user can authenticate as adm, just the console of
>the fileserver.

Yes, but have you ever tried to create a file owned by uid adm?  At the
fs console use fs(8) "create file adm adm 664" says invalid uid!

@ 1995-10-31  4:54 Scott
From: Scott @ 1995-10-31  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1995-10-31  4:30 Kenji
From: Kenji @ 1995-10-31  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, everyone.

I've gotten, at last :-), a working Plan 9 system in my room, which consists
of only 3 PCs, AMD DX4/120 for CPU(AUTH) server, two 486DX/33s for file
server and a terminal.  My system is standalone, though.  I've had long
hard time to pick up the hardwares and to setup this system... I convince
myself I could not achive it without the helps from this mailing-list.
Thanks all very much.

Now, a question arises.