* installation guide for newbies
@ 1995-11-03  1:29 steve
From: steve @ 1995-11-03  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Several people have asked for a Plan 9 installation guide.
I re-installed my system from scratch today, and kept notes as I went.

This is no substitute for the installation manual, and doesn't mean
you won't have to read the manpages. I'm using u9fs for my fileserver,
so there's nothing here about fs(4). Some of what I did will not be
needed if you're running a real fileserver. Most of my configuration
files and scripts can be ftp'd from plan9.ecf.toronto.edu

You should probably do things in the order specified.

/lib/ndb/local			add entries for your plan9 systems
/lib/ndb/mkfile			substitute local site name for 'kremlin.mos.su'
/lib/ndb/hosts			a copy of /etc/hosts from a Unix system
'cd /lib/ndb; mk'		to build a hash index of the database

/sys/log/			create: ftp mail nfs telnet
/sys/lib/newuser		patch it to 'mkdir $home', before 'cd $home'
'chmod 750 /sys/src'		in case someone breaks through your firewall

/rc/bin/termrc			set $cpu to your cpuserver, $site to your site
				name for mail, start 'ndb/dns' & setup swap
/rc/bin/cpurc			start daemons as required & setup swap

/rc/bin/service/		add local services (tcp113 tcp79), restrict
				some services (tcp23 tcp513), customize
				ftp and httpd (tcp21 tcp80)

/adm/users			add local users, put programmers in group 'sys'
/adm/timezone/local		copy another file in /adm/timezone to it

Boot your cpu server, then (on its console):

% auth/wrkey			to set passwd, authid,  authdom
% auth/keyfs			serves /mnt/keys, from /adm/keys & #r/nvram
% auth/changeuser bootes	to add bootes (authid)
% auth/changeuser upas		so that upas' crontab will work
% auth/changeuser steve		set passwd for steve, then do the same thing
				for every other user you added to /adm/users

For each user:
Boot a terminal, log in as the user, run /sys/lib/newuser to setup /usr/$user
Try 'cpu' to test that authentication works.
Run 'mail -c' to create your mail directory, /mail/box/$user
Run 'cron -c' to create your (empty) crontab file, /cron/$user/cron

/lib/namespace			setup local bins and icmp device, if you wish
/lib/namespace.ftp		namespace for ftp daemon
/lib/namespace.httpd		namespace for http daemon
/lib/vgadb			use pcdist as master copy for this
/lib/sky/here			you latitude, longitude and elevation

/cron/upas/cron			'chown' it to upas, substitute 'kremvax'
				with the hostname of your cpu server
/mail/lib/names.local		add local aliases, if you wish
/mail/lib/remotemail		substitute 'research' with the hostname of
				your local smart mail server and substitute
				'.att.com' with your domain name

If using u9fs as your fileserver:

'chmod 1777 /usr'		so that users can create their home directories
'chmod 1777 /mail/box'		default mode is 777
see http://www.ecf.toronto.edu/plan9/info/u9fs for other u9fs tips and patches

only message in thread, other threads:[~1995-11-03  1:29 UTC | newest]