From: G. David Butler gdb@dbSystems.com
Subject: Problems that I'm having...
Date: Fri,  3 Nov 1995 12:29:38 -0500	[thread overview]

Steve Kotsopoulos <steve@ecf.toronto.edu> wrote:
>"G. David Butler" <gdb@dbSystems.com> wrote:

>> About the diffs in errata and the update directory.  Which should
>> we use?  How do we know if there are new ones?
>>
>> What is a boddle and what is it good for?
>
>The update area seems to have subsumed the errata area.
>They basically have the same purpose, but the boodles (bundle of diffs -
>think of them as the plan9 equivalent to 'patch' under unix)
>in the update area are easier to apply than the diffs in the errata directory.

Yes they are easier, but the latest changes in errata have not make it to
update.

forsyth@plan9.cs.york.ac.uk wrote:
>"G. David Butler" <gdb@dbSystems.com> wrote:

>>/lib/ndb/local file to set up my network.  (It is weird that
>>/lib/ndb/auth has hostid=authid instead of hostid=p9auth, but that is
>>what the installation did, so...)  I also tarred /usr/tor to /usr/none

>hostid should be the authentication USER name, not the name of
>a machine.  it sounds as though you answered `authid' to the
>request `Enter the site authentication user id' (`Example: bootes').
>if so, the installation did the right thing, rather than something
>weird, but you've undone that, and put it into a strange state.
>that might explain the subsequent problems with authentication.
>change it back to authid.  see the end of auth(6) `Data Base'
>for details on /lib/ndb/auth.

I have followed all the advise so far, I have applied all the updates
and errata diffs and I have run mk install in /sys/src (all of this is done
on the console of my cpu server.)

I'm still having the same problem, so I will provide as much information
as possible.

My file server is named bootes.dbSystems.com. (486DX/50, SCSI, WD8003)
My authid is bootes.
My cpu server is named auth.dbSystems.com. (486DX2/66, SCSI, WD8003)
My terminal is named term.dbSystems.com. (386DX/20, no hd, WD8003)
I have done auth/changekey for bootes and gdb

I start the terminal and login as me (gdb) with a password.  There is a
sucessful entry in /sys/log/auth.  In the 81/2 window I type cpu and get:

cpu: can't authenticate: auth: AS protocol botch

I get the same thing on the cpu server at the auth% prompt with cpu -h auth
I also get the the same thing if I telnet to auth, login as none and do
cpu -h auth.  It is at least consistent!  There are no entries added to
/sys/log/auth for any of these.

I have looked at the source and the number of places where that message
can be returned is amazing!

I would really appreciate any help with this.

Thanks in advance.

David Butler
gdb@dbSystems.com

Here is my /lib/ndb/auth file:

hostid=bootes
	uid=!sys uid=!adm uid=*

Here is my /adm/users file:

-1:adm:adm:bootes
0:none::bootes
1:gdb:gdb:
10000:sys::bootes
10001:map:map:
10002:doc::bootes
10003:upas:upas:
10004:font::
10005:bootes:bootes:

and finally my /lib/ndb/local file:

#
# systems on the local network
#
dom=
	ns=ns.dbsystems.com
dom=ns.dbsystems.com ip=204.181.117.1

#INSTALL this network
ipnet=network ip=204.181.117.0 ipmask=255.255.255.0
	ipgw=204.181.117.1
	fs=bootes.dbsystems.com
	auth=auth.dbsystems.com
#END

#INSTALL authserver
ip=204.181.117.5 ether=0000c0b20722 sys=auth
	dom=auth.dbsystems.com
	bootf=/386/9pccpudisk
	proto=il
#END

#INSTALL fileserver
ip=204.181.117.10 ether=0000c0891e1c sys=bootes
	dom=bootes.dbsystems.com
	proto=il
#END

ip=204.181.117.6 ether=0000c06dd28b sys=term
	dom=term.dbsystems.com
	bootf=/386/9pc
	proto=il

#