* exception/interrupt 14 on install?
@ 1995-11-06 11:20 Robert
From: Robert @ 1995-11-06 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all:

I have been having poor luck in trying to get plan 9 installed on a pc.
On a npc 33Mhz i486, trying to boot disk1 I get an exception/interrupt 14
message which also lists TRAPS, etc... then says you can reboot with a
^P.  Anyone have any info on this?

I also tried installing on a Compaq Prolinea 50Mhz i486, on this machine I
get to the System Install and Configure screen, but it gives me a message
that it can't find the internal drive, which I believe is a standard IDE
controller, with a Quantum drive attached.

Both machines have IDE internal drives with one MSDOS partion and empty
space at the end of the drives.  All other boards (minus the VGA card on
the first machine) were pulled before the installs were attempted.

Any pointers or things you would try?

Thanks

Rob

--
Robert Nelson
The Miriam Hospital/Brown University

* exception/interrupt 14 on install?
@ 1995-11-08  4:33 Jim
From: Jim @ 1995-11-08  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

the message 'exception/interrupt' comes from the bootstrap programme b.com.
14 is a page-fault. it would be useful to have the following:
	ECODE PC CR2 CR3
	which version of the floppies you are using
	which peripherals you have

suggestion: try turning off any BIOS shadowing.

what is an 'npc'?

* exception/interrupt 14 on install?
@ 1995-11-07 21:45 Christopher.Vance
From: Christopher.Vance @ 1995-11-07 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Nelson <rsn@frogstar.miriam.brown.edu> wrote:
|  On a npc 33Mhz i486, trying to boot disk1 I get an exception/interrupt 14
|  message which also lists TRAPS, etc... then says you can reboot with a
|  ^P.  Anyone have any info on this?

I asked about a similar problem (trap 6) in July and got no useful
response.  Eventually, it turned out that I could make it go away by
tweaking my CMOS to disable the external cache.  (My machines were
486DX2/66s.)

-- Christopher

* exception/interrupt 14 on install?
@ 1995-11-07 18:29 Robert
From: Robert @ 1995-11-07 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

>i have a machine that does this too, an AT&T WGS 386.  kinda baffling.
>
>i'm gonna try replacing my disk controller (motherboard).
>
>> I also tried installing on a Compaq Prolinea 50Mhz i486, on this machine I
>> get to the System Install and Configure screen, but it gives me a message
>> that it can't find the internal drive, which I believe is a standard IDE
>> controller, with a Quantum drive attached.

Before you go replacing your controller, read the very end of the install.html.
It states if you have problems that you should not boot from disk1, but instead
boot DOS then run b.com from the disk1 floppy.  I tried this and now have Plan 9
up and running on the Compaq Prolinea.

Still haven't figured out the exception/interrupt 14 problem on the npc i486, I
assume the motherboard chip set is not compatable.

Rob

---------
Robert Nelson
The Miriam Hospital

@ 1995-11-07 17:55 John
From: John @ 1995-11-07 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1995-11-07 14:47 Borja
From: Borja @ 1995-11-07 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hello all:
>
> I have been having poor luck in trying to get plan 9 installed on a pc.
> On a npc 33Mhz i486, trying to boot disk1 I get an exception/interrupt 14
> message which also lists TRAPS, etc... then says you can reboot with a
> ^P.  Anyone have any info on this?
>
> I also tried installing on a Compaq Prolinea 50Mhz i486, on this machine I
> get to the System Install and Configure screen, but it gives me a message
> that it can't find the internal drive, which I believe is a standard IDE
> controller, with a Quantum drive attached.

	I have installed it without problems in a Compaq Prolinea MT
466 (486 DX2/66) but with SCSI disks. Haven't tried with the IDE disk.
The IDE interface in the latest Prolineas is in the PCI bus. Can it
be a problem?

	Borja.

Borja Marcos               | Preferred: borjam@we.lc.ehu.es
Alangoeta, 11, 1. izq.     | Others:    borjamar@mx.sarenet.es
48990 - Algorta (Vizcaya)  |            100015.3502@compuserve.com
SPAIN                      | CIS:       100015,3502
(c)1995 by the author.
This message cannot be transferred to the Microsoft(tm) Network.