* Brazil? Plan 9 Mailing list?
@ 1995-11-10 19:47 Anssi
From: Anssi @ 1995-11-10 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8, Size: 3330 bytes --]

philw@plan9.ATt.COM (Phil) wrote:
>alt.very.old.technology.we.are.now.doing.much.better
>
>I think the work we are doing now has the potential to
>build a system which represents the same kind of technology
>gap there is between unix and plan9 (and not in the sam 20
>year time frame). The company(s) seem to agree.

Sorry but I  don't get it, can you help me:
What is this 'work' you refer to? (What is Brazil?)
Are you hiring Plan 9 programmers?
Is there a Plan 9 mailing list, how do subscribe?
Should I buy AT&T shares? Are there any other Plan 9 companies to invest
in?

I have this personal problem that only impossible things interest me. Now
that making the Internet to rule the world is a 'case closed' I am
interested in making Plan 9 to end the childhood of computing industry.
Here is my October 1995 credo from the time capsule in MIT's A DAY IN THE
LIFE OF CYBERSPACE:

People

Generally people born before 1965 will not have time to go through the
steps of computer literacy to efficiently exploit the new technologies.
These are: learning tricks; learning systems; learning efficient
real world work habits and finally learning to estimate the productivity
of new tools at new situations. The new businesses formed by young
people will do everything better. The political clash between the old and
the young will be difficult, because the YOUNG WILL PRODUCE AND THE OLD
WILL GOVERN.

Software

PLAN 9 will change everything. It is the end of the childhood of computer
technology, the model T Ford of software. Unix was a prototype. (Apple II
was the first combustion engine) Systems will finally be cheap, reliable
and understandable.

Communications

All electric communications will be carried through a common virtual
layer and addressing scheme: IP. This will include ALL of the radio
spectrum which will be the local transfer medium. Efficient management of
the lowest layers with high bandwith will be a real challenge and the
telcos concentrating on that will win.

A corollary:

Plan 9 and its children and its rivals will unify all computing equipment
to one virtual computer.

Higher level services

Intermediate level network services like security and virtual private
networks will work on top of the IP layer (like Netscape´s SSL) and best
managed by computer systems companies, like IBM and Digital. End user
level services will be a very heterogenous business best left for small
companies. Billing for services at all levels (bandwith, too) is taken
care almost trivially by digital cash. The intellectual property rights
will be the most difficult dilemma.

Hardware

Computers as pieces of hardware will be small, cheap networked single
purpose machines, like tools always have been, both in the office and in
the craftman's shop. A swiss army knife is an inferior tool when compared
to specialized devices. Other class of machines will be big specialized
servers, much like the agrarian mills or the industrial power plants. The
killer machine selling billion pieces will be a portable 'dynabook' with
paper quality color screen, radio communications and a video camera as
the only input/control device with MIT 'magic mirror' user interface.
(Introduced in year 2005).

only message in thread, other threads:[~1995-11-10 19:47 UTC | newest]