From: G. David Butler gdb@dbSystems.com
Subject: /sys/src/libc/port/crypt.c
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 23:32:59 -0500	[thread overview]

>>An added bonus is general purpose encryption in libc.a.  This
>>provides functionality to enable fast encrypted data streams.  My idea
>>is to encrypt all data on the wire.  Am I being unreasonable?
>
>Probably.

>           What's the encryption algorithm
DES (perhaps with desinit(mode = 1): see des.c)

>how are sessions keys negotiated
I was thinking of using the nonce key created for the ticket.  It is
created for each session and both the client and server know it and
since it was encrypted using their keys, it was never transmitted in
the clear.

>                                  how many bits in each key, etc.
64 (56 used)

>	/r$

I was thinking that this would be a layer for the 9P mnt(3) driver to do
on links that are not private.  This only makes sense for Plan 9 type
devices (terminals, cpu servers, file servers) that are connecting
through public media.

For example if I use a p9 terminal on a serial link through voice lines
to a p9 network, I would not bother since the link is "private".  But if
I was dialed to a ISP via PPP, then I would.

db