* Locked keyboard with new pcdist
@ 1995-11-16 12:37 Cecil
From: Cecil @ 1995-11-16 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've checked the FAQ and browsed the newsgroup and didn't find
anything about keyboard problems.  I got the pcdist version
from 11/14/95 (and the updated to 11/15/95).  When I boot the
floppy for installation it gets to the Configuration &
Installation window but the keyboard is locked such that power
has to be cycled to clear it.

I got the .orig version from pcdist and it installs fine.

Any clues?

Thanks for any tips.

* Locked keyboard with new pcdist
@ 1995-11-21  5:37 Jeffrey
From: Jeffrey @ 1995-11-21  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

hornbac@gate.NET (Cecil Hornbaker) wrote:

> I've checked the FAQ and browsed the newsgroup and didn't find
> anything about keyboard problems.  I got the pcdist version
> from 11/14/95 (and the updated to 11/15/95).  When I boot the
> floppy for installation it gets to the Configuration &
> Installation window but the keyboard is locked such that power
> has to be cycled to clear it.
>
> I got the .orig version from pcdist and it installs fine.
>
> Any clues?

I am having the same problem.  I have a Suntouch 101 keyboard.  It
isn't one of those really cheap ones either.  I put an old keyboard
in, a Northgate Omnikey 102 and it acts differently, but still does
not completely work.  I found out that depressing Num Lock during
different times during the boot process changes it's behavior.

Basically it appears that the system is hung.  The initial menu
comes up with a selection of two partitions to install the 1.44 meg
part of plan9 onto, but cursor down, tab, any key at all does not
do anything.  If I turn off Num Lock right after it starts loading,
I can press the cursor down key, then it waits about five seconds
and goes to another menu selection, but stops there.

If someone at AT&T fixes this, please post here.  I was going to
buy a new computer to get around the problem, but buying a new
keyboard would be much more cost effective :-)