From: Borja Marcos borjam@we.lc.ehu.es
Subject: VGA hell - HELP
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 14:24:28 -0500	[thread overview]

> I am using Compaq Perserio 992CDS system with compaq svga color
> monitor. Has any one successfully configured plan9 VGADB to support
> compaq color display?. It works fine for 640x480X1 configuration. I
> would like to configure to use color. I have called compaq to get
> RAMDAC and clock info. with no success.
>
> I do know from BIOS dump that I have Cirus Logic VGA card.
> How can I find out RAMDAC and clock info?.

	First, sorry for the delay.

	I have a Compaq Prolinea MT466. (Bought one month ago)
and the graphics card uses a Cirrus 5434 chip.

	It has 1 MB of video RAM and it works flawless under
Plan 9. I only had to add this line to /lib/vgadb in the
"ctrl=clgd542x" section. (The 5434 seems to be backwards-compatible
with the 542X)

	0xC0039="CL-GD543x PCI VGA BIOS"

	However, check your BIOS dump. As far as I know the
Presarios aren't PCI machines so I'm quite sure your BIOS can look
different. But just adding this line it will work. (If your
computer's graphics card is compatible with mine, which is
very likely).

	I had to use no clockchip or RAMDAC setting. It seems that some
Cirrus chips have the complete set in a chip.

	BTW... when will be get free from the damage the PC chaos has
done to the computer industry?

	Borja.

Borja Marcos               | Preferred: borjam@we.lc.ehu.es
Alangoeta, 11, 1. izq.     | Others:    borjamar@mx.sarenet.es
48990 - Algorta (Vizcaya)  |            100015.3502@compuserve.com
SPAIN                      | CIS:       100015,3502
(c)1995 by the author.
This message cannot be transferred to the Microsoft(tm) Network.