* locked keyboard
@ 1995-11-21 14:09 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1995-11-21 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

i've checked the IBM PC/AT handbook.
on a machine with a keyboard controller
compatible with that specification,
both bits 5 and 6, not just bit 6, change
the keyboard's handling of scan codes.
the other option looks like a PC/XT compatibility mode to me.

perhaps the mouse enable/disable appeared in the PS/2
where they'd done away with PC/XT compatibility?
i suppose there must be a bit somewhere to tell
the difference, but we haven't got a PS/2 handbook here.

oh god i hate this stuff.

* locked keyboard
@ 1995-11-21 13:46 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1995-11-21 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

i ran into this problem on a 386sx16 (a fairly old motherboard).
i've not seen it on any 486 here.
for the moment, i have changed kbd.c
as follows.

i changed the following assignment in kbdinit in the new kbd.c
	ccc |= Csf | Ckbdint | Cscs1 | Cmousedis;
to read
	ccc |= Csf | Ckbdint | Cscs1;
	if(x86() != 3)
		ccc |= Cmousedis;

this is sufficient to fix the problem here.
it's not ideal (because i don't yet know why this causes it to hang,
and i also don't know whether it really is
confined to [some] 386 motherboards or whether it
affects a particular keyboard chipset that
is also used on a 486.

* locked keyboard
@ 1995-11-21  8:08 Dave
From: Dave @ 1995-11-21  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

If forsyth's keyboard fix works, I'ld like more info from
the people with the problem.  What mouse port are you using?
Are you using a keyboard that plugs into the PS/2 mouse/kbd
port?