* testing new diskettes
@ 1995-11-22 22:38 jim
From: jim @ 1995-11-22 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

There's a chance Harcourt Brace will distribute a new set of diskettes with
the Plan 9 Distribution and also send a set to registered owners. To that end I'd
like to ensure the current set is no worse than that originally distributed.
So, even if you already have the system installed, I'd appreciate it if you could
grab at least disk1 and try it. There's no need to do the full install, getting
to the point in the 'Install 3 Diskette System to local drive' option where it
gives a menu of discs suitable for installion should be enough; verification of
full installs would be nice, though. As always, remember you are risking possible
damage to any of your filesystems and should backup everything you deem precious.

If there are problems  I'd like to know the following:
	hardware configuration
	disc partition layout
	the contents of plan9.ini at the time of failure
A way to find the partition information is
	boot disk1
	at the first menu type 'q' to drop out of install
	at the 'password: ' prompt simply hit ENTER
	execute the command
		disk/prep /dev/XXXdisk < /dev/null
	where XXX is, e.g. hd0.
The section headed 'Master Boot Record exists' is the most useful.

There's no need to clutter the group/list with the miserable results, you can mail
me directly. Thank you.

only message in thread, other threads:[~1995-11-22 22:38 UTC | newest]