From: Jonne Itkonen ji@tarzan.math.jyu.fi
Subject: VGA Hell * 2 (Stealth 64 & Phantom 64)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 03:47:06 -0500	[thread overview]

 Hello!

 Again, I desperately try to find the correct configuration to
run Plan 9 with better than 640x480 resolution. The cards under
torturing this time are:

  Diamond Stealth64 Video 3000 (Formerly known as 64 Video VRAM)
   - PCI version
   - S3 Vision968
   - RAMDAC: IBM 9314 - 220 MHz (is there any equivalent RAMDAC's)
   - platform is Endeavour with 90Mhz Pentium, no onboard video

and

  Genoa Phantom64
   - VLB version
   - S3 Vision864
   - RAMDAC? S3 SDAC 86C716-M6 might be 135 or 137 MHz
   - platform is Intel 486 66MHz, motherboard manufacturer unknown

I tried some configurations, the system recognized both of them, but I
usually got a 640x480x1 screen with only the mouse cursor drawn (so
no text, no borders, just the mouse). The Genoa should be easy, I think,
but the Diamond is a harder case (the IBM RAMDAC give's me headache),
and since I don't have the full distribution, it's 'no coding time'.

Oh, and does anyone know, if there exists some really clever program,
which could sniff out videocard's configuration (processors, ramdacs,
etc.) (Think it would have to have a database of somekind about the
cards registers, etc...)

  -Jonne