* VGA Hell * 2 (Stealth 64 & Phantom 64)
@ 1995-11-23 22:29 Stefan
From: Stefan @ 1995-11-23 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

>  Hello!
Moin, moin,

>   Genoa Phantom64
>    - VLB version
>    - S3 Vision864
>    - RAMDAC? S3 SDAC 86C716-M6 might be 135 or 137 MHz
>    - platform is Intel 486 66MHz, motherboard manufacturer unknown
I have patched aux/vga to work with my SPEA Mirage.  (864+s3sdac)
It's a PCI card but it may work for you.  I can send you
the patch and a binary if you are interested.

Stefan

* VGA Hell * 2 (Stealth 64 & Phantom 64)
@ 1995-11-24  8:48 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1995-11-24  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>tar file ok, however fs/tarfs gives a checksum error on the first
>>file.

try this:

vortex% diff /n/cd/sys/src/cmd/tapefs/tarfs.c .
132c132
< 		i += *cp;
---

@ 1995-11-23 23:14 Scott
From: Scott @ 1995-11-23 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

>  Diamond Stealth64 Video 3000 (Formerly known as 64 Video VRAM)
>   - PCI version
>   - S3 Vision968
>   - RAMDAC: IBM 9314 - 220 MHz (is there any equivalent RAMDAC's)
>   - platform is Endeavour with 90Mhz Pentium, no onboard video

I have one of these cards.  My RAMDAC is actually a IBM526 220MHz.  The
526 is buried in the middle of the number.  See the XFree86 doco.
XFree86 uses the IBM526 in IBM524 mode.  I haven`t used the card in any
but 640x480x1, which is currently dodgy as there are lines across the
screen.  I'm still experimenting with my Creative Labs 6xCD.  I
keep having to reboot into linux to get stuff off the CD.  When I
succeed in getting the CD working, the next thing on the list is
looking at the XFree86 stuff to see how the IBM524 works,

Interestingly, when I tar the entire cd into a file on a dos
partition under linux, then reboot under plan9, plan9's tar reads the
tar file ok, however fs/tarfs gives a checksum error on the first
file.

Sm

* VGA Hell * 2 (Stealth 64 & Phantom 64)
@ 1995-11-23 22:04 Bob
From: Bob @ 1995-11-23 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Oh, and does anyone know, if there exists some really clever program,
>which could sniff out videocard's configuration (processors, ramdacs,
>etc.) (Think it would have to have a database of somekind about the
>cards registers, etc...)

Look for vgadoc3.zip on your nearest SIMTEL mirror site. It is a MSDOS
program that will attempt to probe your VGA/SVGA hardware and figure
out what it is, describe various modes available, allow you to
experiment with SVGA BIOS modes, etc. It's getting to be a bit out of
date these days, but it still is quite helpful for many video cards.

A newer (and more accurate) version called "SuperProbe" is in the
Linux/XFree86 distribution, but it requires having Linux installed in
order to run it. If there were enough interest, I would willingly make
a DOS port.

You might also try running the UNIVBE 5.1 installer--it will report
similar sorts of information in the install screen. It's not intended
to be used as a SVGA hardware prober, but it has that side effect :-)
						Bob

* VGA Hell * 2 (Stealth 64 & Phantom 64)
@ 1995-11-23 17:00 jim
From: jim @ 1995-11-23 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

	A newer (and more accurate) version called "SuperProbe" is in the
	Linux/XFree86 distribution, but it requires having Linux installed in
	order to run it. If there were enough interest, I would willingly make
	a DOS port.

I once ported SuperProbe to Plan 9, it was pretty easy, just rip-off the in/out
routines from aux/vga and make a couple of other little changes for compilation
environment differences.

* VGA Hell * 2 (Stealth 64 & Phantom 64)
@ 1995-11-23  8:47 Jonne
From: Jonne @ 1995-11-23  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Hello!

 Again, I desperately try to find the correct configuration to
run Plan 9 with better than 640x480 resolution. The cards under
torturing this time are:

  Diamond Stealth64 Video 3000 (Formerly known as 64 Video VRAM)
   - PCI version
   - S3 Vision968
   - RAMDAC: IBM 9314 - 220 MHz (is there any equivalent RAMDAC's)
   - platform is Endeavour with 90Mhz Pentium, no onboard video

and

  Genoa Phantom64
   - VLB version
   - S3 Vision864
   - RAMDAC? S3 SDAC 86C716-M6 might be 135 or 137 MHz
   - platform is Intel 486 66MHz, motherboard manufacturer unknown

I tried some configurations, the system recognized both of them, but I
usually got a 640x480x1 screen with only the mouse cursor drawn (so
no text, no borders, just the mouse). The Genoa should be easy, I think,
but the Diamond is a harder case (the IBM RAMDAC give's me headache),
and since I don't have the full distribution, it's 'no coding time'.

Oh, and does anyone know, if there exists some really clever program,
which could sniff out videocard's configuration (processors, ramdacs,
etc.) (Think it would have to have a database of somekind about the
cards registers, etc...)

  -Jonne