From: Steve_Kilbane Steve_Kilbane@cegelecproj.co.uk
Subject: 9ssfs and 9sscpu
Date: Thu,  7 Dec 1995 11:01:22 -0500	[thread overview]

After a long hiatus, I've finally got another chance to try to get my system
up and running. I've got one ss2 and two SLCs that I can play with, off
and on, plus another ss2 u9fs server. But no PCs, so I'm fumbling around
a bit here.

Trying to boot 9ssfs on an SLC fails. After entering the config: info for
a single 207MB SCSI disk [I was going to copy stuff onto it manually...],
I get a panic. The disk config was simply:

config w3
filsys main w3
ream main
end

It does:
sysinit
	devinit D6.0.3.0
for a reasonable length of time (about ten minutes), and then the screen fills
with a stack trace, and the messages:
1156 stack used out of 4000
panic: kernel trap: trap: unaligned address pc=0xe0031d44

Not to worry, I thought, I'll forego the fs for now, and use the u9fs machine
instead. It's the auth server I'm worried about, anyway.

I tried following Will Rose's instructions [2 Nov], but booting 9sscpu
doesn't seem to work. On the SLC, all I get is:

session...boot: mount: unknown user or group

...regardless of what I give it for the auth server's address. Incidentally,
9ss still boots ok, using u9fs, auth server 0.0.0.0 and user none.

Attempting to boot 9sscpu on the ss2 is more worrying. As soon as I enter
a response for the auth server prompt, I get:

boot: #c/hostowner: bad arg in system call

which seems to be specific enough to nail it down to
/sys/src/9/boot/key.c:72. However, looking at this file, it seems to me that
I should have also received a "bad authentication id" message, and
prompts for password, authid and authdom, but none of this appears.

I'm not too worried about getting the fs going just yet, but I would like to
be able to get a cpu server up and running. Any suggestions?

steve