* More ATAPI drive blues
@ 1995-12-08 15:26 Luther
From: Luther @ 1995-12-08 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, folks.
The good news is that as of this afternoon I finally got the three
disk version of Plan 9 running on my system.
   The bad news is that ten minutes later the UPS guy came with the
CD-ROM version of Plan 9.
   I have a Mitsumi FX-400 IDE CD-ROM drive. It's attached to the
secondary controller of an NS87410 dual-IDE controller and configured
at 0170h and IRQ 15.
   My problem is, while attempting the CD-ROM installation, I get the
message "ATAPI disk not found". Clearly, the Plan 9 installer isn't
finding my drive. It's there, honest.
   Anyone have any suggestions? Like I said earlier, I've got the
diskette version up and running, so I can tinker with configurations,
etc.
   Thanks in advance,
   Luther Huffman, Jr.

* More ATAPI drive blues
@ 1995-12-08 20:52 jim
From: jim @ 1995-12-08 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

The distributed code is not very good in the presence of attention messages
from the drive after reset (different drives give different messages).
>From a shell prompt try doing "ls '#H'" a couple of times to see if it
clears any error condition on the drive.

I'm thinking we may be forced into resetting the controller but I really
don't want to do that. For instance, the controller on the Creative Labs
Vibra16 card doesn't appear to implement the necessary registers.