* ATA driver/ATAPI CD/latest kernel
@ 1995-12-09  5:54 Scott
From: Scott @ 1995-12-09  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

"jim mckie " <jmk@plan9.att.com> writes:
| I wasted a good part of yesterday trying to get a SANYO drive to work
| on a Micron Powerstation, ...

Aside from that, do you recommend Micron?  I notice that they use the
Diamond Stealth 64 Video, for which I thought people had previously
reported problems.

* ATA driver/ATAPI CD/latest kernel
@ 1995-12-09 14:35 jim
From: jim @ 1995-12-09 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

One warning. I believe if you ask for a SCSI controller it's a Buslogic 930
by default. This is a brand new controller and apparently isn't software compatible
with all their other controllers. I don't have any more information than that.

@ 1995-12-09 14:29 jim
From: jim @ 1995-12-09 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've not much experience with them, but they seem OK. Better than the Dell's
people around here were buying. The Millenia I tried worked without problem (Teac
6X ATAPI CD-ROM). The video card is a Diamond Stealth 2001, the one with the
ARK2000 chip and it works fine. My favourite VGA card right now is the Hercules
Stingray 64/V and this one is more or less the same. I'm trying to get
someone to test the aux/vga changes for the older Stealth 64 VRAM which is
quite popular (note that ALL Diamond cards are 'Stealth's...) and higher-end.

@ 1995-12-08 15:06 jim
From: jim @ 1995-12-08 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

All the source changes for ATAPI have not been made available yet.
The kernel included in the current diskette set has some important
changes, you may want to try booting that 9dos to see if the problem
is fixed.

Often the MS-DOS/Windows drivers will leave the drive in a state
whereby it is difficult to recognise, it's best to try booting Plan9
straight after a reset without running anything else in between.

Every ATAPI drive I have tried (4 now) behaves in a different way.
Without doing a controller reset (which is dangerous in the presence
of mapped hard drives and not always implemented anyway) it seems
almost impossible to guarantee recognising an ATAPI drive. I wasted
a good part of yesterday trying to get a SANYO drive to work on a
Micron Powerstation, the drive refused to execute the 'execute device
diagnostics' command which is a mandatory command.

* ATA driver/ATAPI CD/latest kernel
@ 1995-12-08 10:05 Nigel
From: Nigel @ 1995-12-08 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anyone got a fully boddled kernel running on a machine with one
IDE controller supporting an ATA disk, and an ATAPI CD-ROM? I suspect
there is an assumption that they are on different controllers; I get
words to the following effect

ata0: cmd = 0xfe status = 0xff
atapi1:panic wait busy

during kernel initialisation. If I unplug the CD, everything works
fine.