* Adding pcdist to CD-ROM file system?
@ 1995-12-09 20:34 jim
From: jim @ 1995-12-09 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Could you elaborate on what the ATAPI problems were and how you fixed them?
It's the season's hot topic.

The safest way to install the updates is to get the source updates from
plan9.att.com and compile and install.

Sender: cse.psu.edu!owner-9fans

After a few days of reconfiguring my ATAPI CD-ROM drive, I managed to
get the Plan 9 CD-ROM to install (at last!). Everything works fine
except I would like to have the TRIO64 VGA drivers that were
available on the diskettes but not present on the CD-ROM.
   My question is, how can I *safely* install some or all of the
files from the updated diskettes onto my brand new Plan 9 system?
I've got a vague idea how but I'd really hate to nuke my hard-won
file system tinkering in things I only THINK I understand.
   Any advice from someone who's been there.

---
Luther Huffman, Jr.

p.s. To whomever designed catclock, I enjoy it. =;-)

* Adding pcdist to CD-ROM file system?
@ 1995-12-21 22:21 steve
From: steve @ 1995-12-21 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

some time ago, "Luther Huffman" <lutherh@mail.infinet.com> wrote:

> After a few days of reconfiguring my ATAPI CD-ROM drive, I managed to
> get the Plan 9 CD-ROM to install (at last!). Everything works fine
> except I would like to have the TRIO64 VGA drivers that were
> available on the diskettes but not present on the CD-ROM.
>    My question is, how can I *safely* install some or all of the
> files from the updated diskettes onto my brand new Plan 9 system?
> I've got a vague idea how but I'd really hate to nuke my hard-won
> file system tinkering in things I only THINK I understand.
>    Any advice from someone who's been there.

It's best to do it in the opposite order ... install the pcdist first,
and then merge in the cdrom files. I just added the following to the faq:

Subject: How can I install only part of the CDROM?

The cdrom has about 375Meg of files on it, but if you are short on disk space
you can install with much less than that. Each of the toplevel
architecture-specific directories takes up over 40Meg, so if you only have PC's
you can save over 140Meg by simply not installing /mips, /sparc and /68020. If
you don't need the source in /sys/src (shame on you), you'll save 43Meg.

The pcdist disks at ftp://plan9.att.com/plan9/pcdist contain bugfixes that are
not on the CDROM, and some of the fixes are not yet available in source form
either. If you are installing on a pc, it is probably easiest to install the
pcdist first, and then merge in whatever you want from the cdrom.

If you use mkfs to copy the cdrom, you can make sure you don't overwrite files
that were fixed on the pcdist. You can use the following steps to load the
entire cdrom except /mips, /sparc and /68020 on a standalone pc. First, install
the latest pcdist using the standard installation procedure. Next, mount the
cdrom [this assumes scsi cdrom at device 4]

 % 9660srv
 % disk/kfscmd allow
 % mkdir /n/cd
 % mount /srv/9660 /n/cd '#R4/cd4'

Use the following to copy the filesystem rooted at /n/cd (the cdrom) to /n/kfs
(the local PC filesystem), according to the proto file /tmp/386allproto, and
without overwriting any files that are on the pcdist.

 % /n/cd/386/bin/disk/mkfs -v -s /n/cd /tmp/386allproto

Where /tmp/386allproto is the following mkfs proto file:

acme
        +
adm
        +
cron
        +
lib
        +
mail
        +
mnt
        +
rc
        +
sys
        +
usr
        +
386
        +

* Adding pcdist to CD-ROM file system?
@ 1995-12-11  2:44 Luther
From: Luther @ 1995-12-11  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aha! Thanks. I'd been wondering about why it was named atapi2. I was
expecting atapi1 or even atapi0.

@ 1995-12-10 19:23 td
From: td @ 1995-12-10 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luther Huffman, Jr. avers (aside):
>p.s. To whomever designed catclock, I enjoy it. =;-)

It's an X program that I converted to use libg.

Despite the inclusion a polygon scan-converter
(libg doesn't have one), the conversion reduced the
program from several thousand lines to 331 (plus bitmap
data).  The only feature it lost was the alarm.

I should say that the polygon tiler is of extremely high
quality.  It uses only integer arithmetic, handles either
of the common rules for identifying the interior of
non-simply connected polygons, clips in an extremely simple
manner, and guarantees, among other things, that if you cover
a region with a bunch of abutting polygons, it will touch each
pixel exactly once.  There is a comment in the source code
indicating the couple of things I think would have to be done
(none of them difficult) to turn it into a production-quality
library routine.  (Actually, I think it should be in the library
as-is.)

* Adding pcdist to CD-ROM file system?
@ 1995-12-10 15:49 jim
From: jim @ 1995-12-10 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1995-12-09 17:01 Luther
From: Luther @ 1995-12-09 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From:          "jim mckie " <jmk@plan9.att.com>

> Could you elaborate on what the ATAPI problems were and how you fixed them?
> It's the season's hot topic.

Oh, hell! I knew someone was going to ask that question. =;-) Well,
the problem I was having was that the Plan 9 installer simply wasn't
seeing that I had an ATAPI drive attached (On secondary IDE
controller, IRQ 15, IO at 0170). Today I got the installer to find
it. I would love to say that I cracked this problem with the brute
force of my intellect, but the truth is I'm not sure how I did it!
   It was either one (or both [or neither!]) of two things I tried:
1. I found that the jumper on the CD-ROM drive was set to slave by
the PC manufacturer even though it was the only drive attached to its
controller. Being set as a slave has never affected how it operated
under Windows or Windows 95. I suspect this is because Microsoft is
used to thinking of *everything* as its slave. I changed the jumper
to set the CD-ROM as master.

2. I originally had this line in plan9.ini:
ata1=irq=15

I now have these two lines:
ata1=irq=15
ata2=irq=15

I know it looks crazy but *something* worked! I think it's kind of
like using SCSI on the Mac. Logic tells you to put the SCSI
terminator on the last device in the chain but sometimes it needs to
be placed elsewhere in the chain. I try not to rationalize it. I just
do it!.

> The safest way to install the updates is to get the source updates from
> plan9.att.com and compile and install.

Thanks. I found them. I'll try to install them. As I understand it, I
start the self-extraction by typing:
rc patchname.rc
I should get a slew of diff files and (perhaps?) a mk file to oversee
everything, right?

Thanks to everyone,
Luther Huffman, Jr.

* Adding pcdist to CD-ROM file system?